Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My puppy won't go out for walks

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by mariafromsolihull, Apr 5, 2011.

1. mariafromsolihull

mariafromsolihull PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have a 7 month old male ESS called Chester. I can't get him to go out for a walk and think it may have something to do with the traffic noise, but I'm not sure. We get outside the front door and he lies down on the pavement and won't budge for anything. He also doesn't respond to treats outside the house. He loves to go in the car, but we have to drive somewhere like the woods or a park so that he can exercise. He hasn't always been this bad but over the past few weeks he has got worse. We used to manage quiet roads to walk down but he realised that if he lay down he knew he would go home. Also, I have trouble leaving him in the house whilst I'm not there. I only leave him for 3 hours max. but in that time he always manages to destroy something or several things that he can reach. I have let him have the run of a through kitchen/diner whilst on his own and I wonder whether he should be confined to a crate? Please can anyone give me some advice.

2. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

I know we got our ESS bitch who is now almost a year at 9months and she too didnt really want to leave the house without our other dog her half sibling what was 6 month old brother. She would leave with him but on her own would be very low to the ground and sometimes just lay. We persevered, being very upbeat and taking it very slowly moving just a few feet and coming home again and really not letting her feel any anxiety in us, keeping almost stupidly excited.

It has been 10 weeks now and she is much better and will happily leave her brother indoors now to come out on her own and if needed hop in and out of her crate in the car.

I would go for quantity (lots of very short trips) rather than distance, make each little trip very exciting and dont expect to fail, they can be very sensitive to our tension. Does he have a favourite toy that you can let him hold or see with you. I would also not go straight home when he lays down, they learn quickly so you need to try and get at least a few positive steps out of him before going home.

One last thought could you focus him with a 'clicker' condition him in the house that you click he gets a treat, teach him to 'sit' or another command where you can maybe get him to accept clicker means treat, then use it to train 'heel' so that when you go out and he sees the clicker he knows that treats are coming, that it is ingrained as a good thing, then maybe you can use this to focus him in 'heel' click treat etc and his training head will hopefully keep him focussed rather than nervous because he is conditioned to it being a good thing.

3. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

Do you know anyone with a dog of similar age you could go for walks with. it might help to take his mind off whatever it is that's stressing him and help to build his confidence. Could be worth a try.
    Good luck. Pete.

4. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

really good advice from Rollosmum!

also, a useful thing to teach would be the "watch me".
    ask the dog "watch me", move the treat up to your eyes if necessary to get the dog to make eye contact, click and treat when eye contact is made.

this is a very useful technique for distracting a dog from whatever stimulus is upsetting him or making him anxious.#

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice