Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my puppy wont eat dry food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by mariecath, Jan 10, 2012.

1. mariecath

mariecath PetForums Newbie

I have a 9 week old king charles pup and have made the decision to feed him complete dry food, however he wont eat it dry and when I soften it he will only eat if mixed with some mince (picking out as much mince as poss and leaving the rest!):rolleyes:
    Please can anyone advise how to make the transition to dry??
    Thanks!

2. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

First thing I would do is make enquiries as to what the breeder was feeding. Then, during the settling down period keep him on the same food. Depending on the quality of the food I would then possibly change, making the change a gradual process.

There is a slight, but growing possibility that the puppy is used to raw feeding (depends on the breeder). If this is the case they should have warned you and provided details to help you continue feeding this.

I realize this may be taken as an impertenant question but is there any specific reason to feed dry? If he is used to wet food why not continue?

There are many good wet foods which don't have to break the bank. It is worthwhile getting a good food as in the long run it could save money in vet fees as well as heartache ;) Price doesn't necessarily equate to quality.

I'd like to post the following links:
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/194976-wet-dog-food-index.html
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/189896-dry-dog-food-index.html
    so you can get some idea of costs/types of food.

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

maybe try wet food. Some dogs don't like dry, and there's nothing wrong with this. I feed Natures Harvest wet to my cocker spaniel and adores it (he'll eat anything but I find that a good quality wet is better than a good quality dry, as NH is 78% meat, and you won't find many dry foods with that meat content).

What was the breeder feeding him? Slowly change over to avoid tummy upsets.

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I honestly wouldnt bother:D In my opinion wet is much better, and you can get some good quality ones these days - why not let him have what he likes:D:D
    Naturediet, Natures Harvest, Natures Menu cans, Wainwrights trays are all good examples;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice