Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my puppy wont come back when called :(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emmaj89, Aug 12, 2011.

1. emmaj89

emmaj89 PetForums Newbie

hi, she is 10 weeks old and as expected has very active carzy hours. however as soon as she is let out into the garden there is no getting her back in. how can i resolve this?

thanks emma :)

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Why should she come back?

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Keep her on a long line and practice recall.

If you start chasing her around, then it becomes nothing more than a game.

4. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

You need to be more fun than the great outdoors.
    Don't run after her, if anything run away from her.

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My pup went through a stage of this.

The garden is much more fun than coming back in!

When I give her a treat, I rattle the tub sometimes. So when she wasn't coming, I rattle the tub and she comes for her treat while she is coming towards me I say Come and now she comes every time I call her in :)

6. emmaj89

emmaj89 PetForums Newbie

thats a great idea, i will give this a go. thanks.

sometimes its like she is ignoring us as she knows it will annoy us, think the key is to not show her your stressed?

more exciting, and treats i think should do the trick.

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Maybe make a game of calling her back now and again as she is playing, rewarding her with a treat / toy, then letting her go and play again straight away so she learns that being called is not necessarily the end of fun, sometimes it means more fun!!

Not sure how much recall training you are doing but i would call your pup randomly in the house too and always reward so that coming to you is always a good option and is fun.

8. Mumbles

Mumbles PetForums Senior

Your puppy is still quite young, with my Toodles we called him when indoors doing the point down hand movement as well and rewarded him whenever he came to us. Always went to big open field on our own and let him off lead, when he was puppy he never wanted to be too far from us, so if he didn't come back i would walk in other direction and he would come running after me, then would call him and he would come. People usually suggest doing this on long line just in case he doesn't come back.

He is 10 months now and comes to me i think very well, but every now and then he will still have a think about whether he wants to come back or not.

9. emmaj89

emmaj89 PetForums Newbie

thanks that is great advice. never thought of it like that, ending her fun.

10. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I always try and approach things from what I *think* would be Kilo's logic - so he is called back randomly on walks for a play with a toy, his ball thrown or a treat. I often hold his collar lightly, clip his lead on then unclip and let him go again too...so he doesn't avoid coming back when the lead comes out either. Just try and make yourself fun...even if you look a bit daft at times :D.

11. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

We found playing a game we nicknamed "Tinker tennis" in the house and garden invaluable. Basically 2 or more human players take it in turns to call the pup and reward them with a treat or lavish praise then move to a new location while the other player(s) take their turn. Recall becomes a wonderful game. keep sessions short but frequent and fun.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice