UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My puppy, 15 weeks old cries and whines a lot and I don't know why. She is eating well, half wet and half dry, has plenty to play with and is thoroughly spoilt, she is walking well on the lead - so what is she crying for ???

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi, My puppy, 15 weeks old cries and whines a lot and I don't know why. She is eating well, half wet and half dry, has plenty to play with and is thoroughly spoilt, she is walking well on the lead - so what is she crying for ???
Is there any particular times she whines like when shes put to bed at night, when shes left or when you are not giving her attention. These are the most common times pups will cry and whine.

If she is constantly whinining even when you are with her then certainly worth getting her vet checked to make sure there is no underlying medical problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's mostly in the evening, she's great at going to bed and sleeping through the night. I did wonder if she is just being greedy as I give her a fish4dogs treat or a puppy kong with peanut butter when she starts getting restless and biting everything insight.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
It's mostly in the evening, she's great at going to bed and sleeping through the night. I did wonder if she is just being greedy as I give her a fish4dogs treat or a puppy kong with peanut butter when she starts getting restless and biting everything insight.
They often get to a point in the evening, when they can be whinney and badly behaved. Some pups will just keep going and going get overtired and dont know when to quit and then the bad behaviour starts.

When is her last meal of the day and how many meals is she on. If the meals in the day are close together and then she has a last one early, she may even be a little hungry, might be worth spacing the meals differently and giving the last one a little later, depending on what your doing of course.
She may be teething too. Just try giving her puppy safe chews to take it out on, if you have bright lights on try dimmer lights too, bright lights can stimulate them wide awake.

Does she have rest periods during the day too, to wind down self amuse and rest. Pups should really have periods of activity followed by periods of rest. If shes going and going throughout the day non stop, that might be the problem as well that come evening shes overtired and still wont quit.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Just another thought I notice you said shes throughly spoilt, whining and things like nippy biting behaviour can also be attention seeking, so if you give her attention and things to reward the whining that may be the problem or part of it too. If it works and she gets the desired effect it rewards the behaviour so she will do it all the more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the comments, i'm probably causing the problem by giving her treats when she starts whining. Her last meal is about 6.30pm will try a little later and will try and be strong and ignore the whining!! I think she just wants everything her way.

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
No, don't give her treats when she whines! That is the worst thing you can do. But it is very hard if the dog sounds as though she is in pain, not to fuss her. My newfoundland puppy, Joshua, used to whine almost constantly as a baby and I thought he wanted attention - he was diagnosed with arthritis at only 16 months.

I am not saying yours has anything like that, but please get her checked, just in case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.