Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Puppy Westie and her toilet habbits!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by pricey28, Jun 1, 2010.

1. pricey28

pricey28 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone new to the forum and just wanted to ask a quick question! I have had Roxy for just over a week now and she is almost 16 weeks old, apparently no one wanted her, don't know why she is such a cutie! However I do use a very large cage of a night for her to sleep in (which she loves) which has a puppy pad, the problem being is I take her out every hour, she runs around like mad I won't play because I want to encourage her to go to the toilet, however after an hour I take her in and then she decides that she wants to go, like she is holding it until we get back inside, she only poo's on the puppy pads but she will wee anywhere (she does poo outside as well and is starting to let me know when she wants to go)! The thing that concerns me, is she getting confused with the whole puppy pad thing? I have tried the whole praising when she does it outside and she gets very excited but it still takes me sitting outside for ages with her, if I do give up after an hour or so she just goes in and wee's! I take her out last thing at night and I ensure that I am up at least 6 hours after she has been put to bed to take her downstairs, however we have only had one clean night. She also will just run around and lay in her poo she doesn't see to care, she was pet shop brought so I am guessing this is why she doesn't care about pooing and weeing near her bed??

She isn't left alone during the day as when I work for three days a week she is in doggy day care, not fair to leave her alone all day.

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

firstly welcome :)

I would get rid of the puppy pads - section off the crate so it's only room for her bed, big enough to stretch out and turn around but no bigger.
    Clean or replace all her bedding, wash the carpet with biological wshing powder.
    ake her out every hour PLUS everytime she wakes, finishes eating, drinking, playing and looks as if she is sniffing/cirling.
    Take her out on her lead but totally ignore her if she goes praise and reward big time, as she's going use a key word such as potty.
    If she hasn't gone in 20 minutes or so take her back into her crate (now only big enough for her bed) and leave her for 1 minute and repaeat - keep repeating until she goes outside and reward, praise and have a great playtime - she'll soon learn that until she 'goes' life is pretty boring.
    I would also either move her crate into your room so you hear her wake and can take her out for the toilet or set your alarm for twice a night at first, don't talk to her or give her eye contact just straight outside and back into her crate with out a fuss.
    That's what worked for me.

#2 Fleur, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  3. pricey28

pricey28 PetForums Newbie

Fleur

Thanks very much for the advice makes perfect sense, I am going to invest in a new smaller cage I had a feeling that I wasn't doing myself any favours by getting one so big!! I will try all what you said and let you know!!

Thanks again

Pricey28 :)

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Best of luck - the big crate will be useful when she's toilet trained to give her a bit more room :)

I always used to say my dogs never had 'accidents' - it was my accident not to watch them properly or take them out often enough :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice