Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My puppy was spayed yesterday

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Kakite, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Member

Hi everyone.

My 6month old puppy Nova got spayed yesterday and also had her umbilical hernia repaired. She seems to be recovering well so far. When we got home last night, she did a big wee and poop and went to sleep. I put an inflatable collar on her to make sure she doesn’t lick the wound and she kinda likes it because it’s almost like on of those travel pillows for humans :Happy Later on she woke up to wee again (she was on IV fluids). She had some chicken and rice last night and also this morning. She slept through most of the night. I got given painkillers for her for three days, I gave her some this morning as the vet said to at least give her two doses of it for two days. She has also gone toilet this morning a couple of times.

I don’t really have a specific question. I guess just looking for other people’s ideas on how to keep them busy while on “crate rest”. I looked up some games to play like pointing out objects with her paws which she likes and also have kong toys and chewies to keep occupied. Any more suggestions?

I think the wound is looking good too, attached a photo. I expected it to be more swollen. Or is that still to come?

Looking for some fellow dog mum/dad sympathy I guess :rolleyes::p

Attached Files:

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

It’s good that she’s toileting well - that’s often something which can cause a few problems post-spay. Make sure you keep her warm too. That incision site does look good, but keep an eye on it.

Gentle trick training or food games are good to keep her occupied but it shouldn’t be long before she can pretty much carry on as normal, just avoiding jumping and running.

lullabydream and Kakite like this.
  3. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Member

Thank you,I check the wound every few hours. At the moment she’s asleep next to me in a blanket. Nice and snuggly.

lullabydream likes this.
  4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Excellent. She'll be back to normal in no time :)

lullabydream and Kakite like this.
  5. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Member

I hope so too, she’s still sleeping by me.

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

There is no need to check the wound quite that often. She will be sore for 2 or 3 days and limit herself and just want to rest so I would not bother her with games. After that she can have short walks on the lead as often as you like and by the time the stitches are out she will be back to normal. No need to keep her in a crate.

Rafa, Kakite and lullabydream like this.
  7. karenmc

karenmc PetForums Senior

Can I ask where you got the inflatable collar? I heard about these recently and wondered if they are better/more comfortable Tha the plastic cones. Hope Nova recovers quickly. It sounds like all is going well. Thank you

Kakite likes this.
  8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Most places sell them.

Or you can buy a body suit that works just as well.

I have used all 3 with my dogs, traditional cone of shame, inflatable collar, as lib baby grow well baby vest for Eevee...she had both just needed to add a few stitches to the neck area.

For Maisie, I used a body suit as she's a large breed, plays bitey face a lot and thought the collar would get destroyed by other dogs teeth.

@SusieRainbow sent me the link for the body suit and it was good although I think I could have done with a bigger size...joy of owning a lurcher with a huge deep chest out of proportion. However Maisie did wangle her back legs out of it...I have no idea how, but it stayed put and she never touched the wound at all. Obviously...or not so obviously it has press studs to undo for toilet purposes and was fine

I know I have answered more than you requested @karenmc but I do like the body suits to be honest.

Although using all of them, all my dogs have been happy with both types of collars once they adjusted to wearing them.

karenmc, Kakite and JoanneF like this.
  9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

In case the OP doesn't see your question, I got T's from Amazon. It was excellent, it was exactly like the OP said, like one of the inflatable travel pillows that people use and allows far better peripheral vision for your dog.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Pet-Supplies-Recovery-Collars-Dogs/zgbs/pet-supplies/471436031

karenmc and lullabydream like this.
  10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

The dogs accept the inflatable collars much better than the traditional hard plastic lampshades. One of my bitches has a vulva infection at the moment but still managed to lick with the inflatable collar on sadly. I've got a bigger one but she managed to get that off several times.

karenmc likes this.
  11. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Member

I got mine online (I’m based in NZ). It’s pretty good and so far she hasn’t complained wearing it. We introduced her to it when she was well with peanut butter and it was accepted straight away.

Nova is doing super well actually. She wanted to play yesterday after a big 3 hour sleep, so we did some gentle games to keep her mind busy for a few minutes. It worked well. She eats and goes toilet normal, but she doesn’t drink any water. I have just started putting water in with her food and she drinks that to get to the food, so that had helps to keep her hydrated. I make sure she rests though because I know the pain relief will just mask her soreness and I know she is still healing.

I don’t crate her unless I cannot directly supervise her to keep her from jumping up furniture.

Thank you for the well wishes.

12. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Member

I also have a bodysuit for her and keep that on because I worry that she is able to take the collar off when we go back to work next week and she may get ideas when no one is home. We both work part time and flexible from home some of the hours, so she won’t be alone for more than 2 hours at a time though. That’s enough time to do damage so just want to be extra careful.

Also the doggie in your picture looks gorgeous!!!

13. lullabydream

Thank you that's Maisie my token big dog!

Kakite likes this.
  14. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Member

1A35B46F-7748-4EB6-B4A6-3654B3EC904F.jpeg Photo above shows the incision on Friday and photo below today (Sunday),

And also one of the patient

Attached Files:

lullabydream and McKenzie like this.
  15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It sounds like she is doing fine. I have to say I have never put anything on my bitches after being spayed and my vets only give out cones if asked to as they do not feel they are necessary in most cases.

Happy Paws2 and Kakite like this.
  16. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Member

Yeah she seems to be really good. She started drinking water again tonight so that’s good.

17. karenmc

karenmc PetForums Senior

Thank you everyone for the advice on the inflatable collars. Glad Nova is recovering well @Kakite.

Kakite likes this.
  18. lullabydream

Nova is gorgeous!

Kakite likes this.
  19. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Member

Thank you everyone Waiting for the vet to email me the appointment to get the stitches out and I will make a countdown for it :Happy Day 3 of recovery here we come!!! Mission of keeping a puppy with bees in her butt still :rolleyes: mind you to be honest she has been pretty good. Thanks at @lullabydream I love my little nugget.

20. lullabydream

Honestly we all worry before hand about our dogs going in for neutering. Once it's done, it's impossible to keep them quiet and calm. Obviously we try our best, as it's a huge operation. Though they do bounce back quickly.

As long as walks are on lead, and not vigorous. Usually they sail through.

Once Nova has recovered, start sharing pictures of her. Everyone would love to hear more about her I am sure!

karenmc likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice