Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My puppy Mia (Bichon Frise)

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jackiepeps, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Jackiepeps

Jackiepeps PetForums Newbie

Hello. I'm a little worried about my puppy. She is nearly 13 weeks old and has had her 2nd injection. I will be able to take her out on walks any day now.!
    I've tried puppy pads to train her and all she wants to do is grab them and run away with them to play. She does wee on them occasionally and we always reward her. I've been letting her out in the back garden to do her 'business' and she happily goes and does it but finding recently she's squatting a lot and only weeing tiny bits. I've got her an antibiotic from the vet as they said she could have cystitis. How can I train her to go outside when she's ready to wee instead of squatting in the house all the time? Can anyone help?

2. koolchick

koolchick PetForums Senior

I normally put them out after waking up and eating and every hour or so. Praise when they do toilet outside and when they do inside pick them up and say no and put them outside. This only works if you catch them actually doing it inside or they wont know why they are out.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I would first get rid of the pads completely, if pups have been used to paper or pads and still have them it can confuse the issue and act as a cue that the house is acceptable.

You need to take her out every 30/45 minutes, staying with her, and when she starts to go use a word of choice. Used everytime she starts she will eventually associate that word with toileting and you can use it once learned as a toilet command often getting them to toilet on command. When finished lots of praise and treats. You need to take her out after drinking, eating, play and sleeping they usually need to go then too.

Any accidents clean up with a special per stain/odour remover as smells left can encourage repeats in the same areas. If she has accidents dont tell her off it can make them nervous about going in fromt of you and more likely to sneak off to try and do it.

Look our for circling scratching and sniffing at the floor thats often a sign they are looking for somewhere to go so get her out quick. Sometimes you dont see this at first though as they dont always recognise the need to go or realise too late.

Personally with mine I had them within sight and sound of me at night for the first couple of weeks, so that if they woke or stirred I could pop them out then too. No bright lights on no interacting with them as it can stimulate them wide awake, just out, toilet couple words or praise and a treat and back to bed.
    I found over the couple of weeks it got less and less until they were going right through until early morning. Some people set an alarm if not within in sight and sound and pop them out that way once or twice in the night. Obviously if she is going through anyway you wont have to do it, its really only for pups that cant hold on all the night through.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice