Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My puppy is now home!! Got a few questions though...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by e_clark, Jun 14, 2010.

1. e_clark

e_clark PetForums Junior

So my puppy came home yesterday :D No accidents or sick in the car on either of the 2.5 hour journeys to get home! And so far no accidents in the house (fingers crossed).

Pictures are on my profile!

Just have a few questions really...

Overnight - he was so good in his crate! I had it in my room, and he whined for a few seconds when we first went to bed then fell asleep (about 11.30pm). I set my alarm for 3am to let him out, and he was still fast asleep! Debated whether to leave him or not but thought I'd let him out seeing as I was up, and he did a pee. Then he woke me up crying at 6.30am, so we got up and he peed again and then that was kind of it, time to get up! No accidents in the crate at all (so proud of him!).

Tonight though I am debating whether to not set my alarm and see what happens, as he did wake me up at 6.30am when he needed to go out, so maybe if he needs to go out earlier too he would wake me up? Just seems a shame to wake HIM up when he's fast asleep, what do people think??

Food - So as I've posted before the breeder was free feeding him his complete dry food and he got some raw minced tripe in the evening. Theres no way we can free feed him here though with 3 other dogs, so he's getting 4 meals a day (was going to do 3 meals of dry and then his 1 evening meal of tripe). Now for a start his adult weight will be 2.5kg-4kg, so hes kinda dead between the 2kg band and 4 kg band for the suggested feeding amounts. 2kg it suggest 50g a day and 4kg it suggests 80kg a day, so I went for 60g, split up into 3 lots of 20g. At breakfast he ate it all and looked like he wanted more, so I gave him more, but at lunchtime he hardly looked interested in it at all, ate a bit but probably less than a quarter.

Could this just be because he's not used to having to eat at set times? Should I basically at each mealtime just give him what he will eat (so if he wants more in the morning, give him more then, and if he hardly eats during the day give him less then?)

Also, as he's having the evening tripe, how much should I reduce the daily suggested feeding amount of the dry food by?

It would be much simpler to free feed as obviously he can just eat what he sees fit but it really would be impossible, and I want to get him into a routine!

I will put piccies of him up as soon as I get them on the PC :D He's so dinky!

Thanks.

#1 e_clark, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Awww congrats on the pup.

Personally i would definately give it a go at leaving him through the night, he might suprise you. My Cocker never messed his crate overnight from day one so he may be able to hold.

With the feeding, he will adjust so just keep to feeding the 3 times, it's quite normal for them to be hungrier at some meals than others :) Just put it down for 15 minutes then take it up if it isn't eaten. Alternatively you could wet the lunchtime meal and stuff a kong with it, he might find it more interesting and will help with teeth :)

3. Mama Sass

Mama Sass PetForums Senior

I agree with Rainybow, see how he goes.

Basil never toileted in his crate from day one and he was going thru the night by ten weeks so you never can tell. He used to wake me up at 3am to go out so I never had to set my alarm!

He is now seven months and we don't use his crate anymore except for when he goes in the car.

:)

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'd leave him as well, it sounds as if he will let you know if he needs to go out.

We have a crate for Dillon, but he hardly uses it now he likes to sleep in the kitchen (his crate is in the living room) but about 6am for some reason he goes in his crate. He's 20 weeks old, and sleeps for about 8 hours before he wants to go out.

5. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

With feeding, weigh him, and feed him 2%ish of his bodyweight.

For night time, just leave him, he will wake you up if he needs to go

6. mashabella

mashabella PetForums VIP

Hey hun that's great news. I was thinking about you this weekend and wondered how you got on.
    If you are not a deep sleeper and would hear his winge when he needed to wee then i would leave him.

With the food I wouldn't worry too much if he doesnt seem interested when you feed him, just remove it after 15 mins or so and feed him his next meal later as usual.

Can't wait to see the pics.

7. e_clark

e_clark PetForums Junior

Well left him last night and he woke me up at 6am (think my sisters pup woke him as she was whining), went out and did his stuff, then came back in and went to sleep again till 9.30am!

Put some pictures on my profile for people to have a look at! :)

8. mashabella

mashabella PetForums VIP

Oh my god he is SUPER adorable!! I love the name Sooty too!! :)

I am surprised that Sue didn't clip his face...jack-jack's face and feet were clipped when we picked him up.
    are you going to have his face clipped?

9. e_clark

e_clark PetForums Junior

Nope I didn't want his face clipped, much prefer how they look without!

10. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

11. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I have been away from this place far too long, i can't believe i missed Sooty's arrival.

Just saw the pics on your profile and he's adorable :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice