Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

My puppy ate a mouse killed by my cat

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Snaih, Aug 13, 2018.


  1. Snaih

    Snaih PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2018
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    2
    so today I went outside in the garden to take my puppy to pee. Didn’t notice the wet black thing on the grass and instead he did and ran for it and scooped it up and ate it in one go. It was a pretty small mouse.

    This has happened before and the vet told me that the mouse could have been poisoned etc. But because I didn’t see my cat bring it in this time I’m scared it may have been but my cat usually never brings in a dead mouse. He usually brings in a mouse to the garden ALIVE and then kills it off.

    I know I should have checked, I most of the time do. But because it had rained I didn’t see it at all in the back part of the garden.

    Should I take him straight to the vet or wait for any signals? Is eating mouses common for dogs?
     
  2. labradrk

    labradrk PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2012
    Messages:
    10,725
    Likes Received:
    12,913
    No need for a vet unless you see any changes in behaviour or he appears to be ill. The likelihood is that he'll be fine, so just keep an eye on him.

    The number of times my dogs have eaten something vile (including dead creatures) and I've said........"oh that might make them sick/ill/have diarrhoea", and it's amounted to nothing.
     
    Snaih and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. kittih

    kittih PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2014
    Messages:
    5,694
    Likes Received:
    8,446
    Mice are normal prey for dogs just as they are for cats. As others have said no need to worry unless your puppy becomes off colour.

    Another way of thinking about it is if you are happy for your cat to catch and / or eat mice it finds out and about then you should also happy for your dog to do so. The risk to your dog is no different as it is to your cat.
     
    Snaih likes this.
  4. wee man

    wee man PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2012
    Messages:
    1,124
    Likes Received:
    498
    Our lot love to dig out mice from the long grass, they swallow them in seconds. This is all part of a natural dog or cat behaviour. Quiet harmless!
    However if there was a regular intake of mice found dead from poisoning I would be concerned.
    Our rat/mouse poisons contain anticoagulants which can build up and affect our pets.
    I would not worry about the occasional mouse eaten but if you notice it is regular, there may be someone around who is poisoning them.
    In this case I would check with my vet.
     
    Snaih likes this.
  5. Siskin

    Siskin Look into my eyes....

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2012
    Messages:
    13,726
    Likes Received:
    21,799
    Mine as a pup, ate a small bird who had crashed into the patio doors and collapsed onto the floor. I was horrified, Isla was as pleased as punch:rolleyes:

    Just keep an eye on your pup for now and an even better eye on what’s lying about in the garden
     
    Snaih likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice