Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My pup needs a same size playmate.....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by vickieb, May 3, 2011.

1. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

and I was wondering how you go about or find one...... I live near a field that a lot of dog walkers go to...... but even tho my Lab pup is only 5 months old he is big and very in your face with other dogs (in a nice way coz he just wants to play)

the thing is, some people dont like excited big pups playing with their dogs (you can tell by their face, they look P'ed off) so I was wondering how you can find a kind of play mate thats the right size and temprement.....

I need a Eharmony for my pup :0)

2. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

ooo i know exactly how you feel....no dogs would play with Tummel and the ones that want to aren't allowed as their owners drag them away :( luckily theres a few dogs he meets every now and again and has a good wrestle with :) where abouts are you? You could put an advert up for a local dog walking group and see if that attracts anyone?? :eek:

3. the flintstones

the flintstones PetForums Member

Ive got a 13 week old JR that i can post you, he will play with anyone , the bigger the better LOL

4. critter

critter PetForums VIP

Hi, Contact your local rescue and ask if you can be a dogwalker, usually they are crying out for people to offer to walk their pooches!, wayne.

5. Set_Nights

Set_Nights PetForums VIP

Where are you based vickieb?

Also what is Tummel, ballybee?

6. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

Harrogate, met a few Jack Russels this morn, but the man walking was deffo not interested in a play time, as He blanked me :0)

7. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Tummel is a lab X rhodesian ridgeback, he's quite tall, very broad given he's only 11 months old and very friendly, he'll always run over to say hello to the dog and if the dog doesn't want to play he'll just carry on, ok he's tried to instigate a game of chase twice but thats it :p

8. rona

rona Guest

Try going out at different times of day, those that walk in the middle of the day, usually have more time :)

9. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

Tummel sounds like a perfect play mate :) Just right for a over excited lab

10. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Tummels a brilliant playmate for labs, we only found this out in the last week he's met 3 labs and wrestled with them all!!! The last time he met a lab he was completely shattered and disinterested in him(he'll be seeing him again soon as it's my uncles lab and he's coming to visit my parents....Murphy(lab) is a month older than Tummel) as we'd driven from Cupar in Fife to Glasgow, he'd played with my aunts dog for a few hours, was left in his crate for a few hours so he didn't tear up my aunts flat and by the time we got back to him it was almost 10pm(we left Cupar at noon), we stayed until 11pm then it was back in the car home(he slept all the way).

Now...all we need is a plan to unite these 2 dogs :glare: < this is meant to be thinking :D

11. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

You can borrow Shorty if ya like, most dogs cant put up with her for more than 5 minutes as she is all paws lol :rolleyes:

A friends 5mth old husky is the same with the paw slapping etc (kept donking Shorty on the head when he met her but she just stood there wagging her tail :lol:) so Im thinking maybe its a nordic breed thing :confused:

Hopefully if we end up fostering she can have a plamate to match her nuttiness :D

12. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

lol Tummel "pets" ther dogs too :) first time we ever saw him do it was to a massive choc lab, the lab just stood there :p

Heres Tummel "petting" my aunts dog a bit more ferociously :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's hilarious when he starts pawing dogs :rolleyes:

13. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Oh, I wish you were nearer. Novak LOVES playing with other dogs but he's very bouncy and as you know, not all owners appreciate that. Last week in the park a lab jumped through the bush and landed on him lol, no warning, nothing. He was ecstatic, more than happy to have a play mate literally drop on his head lol.

My cousin has a dog around the same size so he does have a play mate, but he can never have to many.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice