Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My pup always stands up on her back legs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Amy Storey, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Amy Storey

Amy Storey PetForums Newbie

My 5 month old puppy has really gotten into the habit of jumping up and down on her back legs. If someone she loves walks through the front door she will get on her back paws and hop at them. Then will just stand there And balance at their feet.
    She's also massively into jumping. To be fair she's an extremely good jumper but it still can't be good for her as she does it on her back paws.
    I didn't know whether this was good or not so I googled it and it's apparently very bad for joints and spine.
    I would like to clarify I have never trained her to do this, she's done it on her own.
    I'd just like to know ways I can stop her doing this so she doesn't get any damage. Or an explanation to why she's doing this.
    She's a Chinese crested Powerpuff by the way.

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

My dog does the same thing, right from puppy hood, I call it the meerkat pose. I think it's to do with their size and standing on the back legs allows them to get closer to you, or maybe to alert that they are there, see you better ......... something like that. I don't know how to stop it though, sorry.

3. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

My Mini Schnauzer does the same thing and he's 5 years old! Before I had him I had a tiny Tibetan Spaniel who would sometimes walk a couple of yards on her back legs like a Meerkat as @animallover 26. says.

ForestWomble likes this.
  4. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

It is likely she has been reinforced for this behaviour (probably got attention). Suggest you teach her something you do want her to do e.g. a sit as she cannot jump if sitting. Likewise management works, keep her away from the causes of the jumping.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice