Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My poor Monty

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kimbles38, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Kimbles38

Kimbles38 PetForums Junior

Hi guys
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me.

My baby Monty (4months old) has been happy and growing since we got him.
    On Friday I came home for work to find he had vomited. He was a bit unhappy and just rested for a while.
    For his next meal, I feed him as normal but he didn't touch it. For the meal after that I tried again. Again he wasn't interested so I put a different flavour food down which he had a few mouthfuls of and then left.

On Saturday he didn't touch his breakfast or lunch. He had a little but of raw chicken at dinner time. For his supper I gave hi half a pouch of his old felix that I had left over which he finished, so I gave him the other half which he also ate most of. Finally thinking he was better, I went to bed but came downstairs on Sunday to find he had vomited again.

Off to the vets we go and she examined him, couldn't feel anything wrong in his tummy but he had a temperature so she gave him a shot of antibiotics and some ranitidine to settle his stomach and has give me some of each to give him at home. She said to feed him plain boiled chicken and some rice to help settle his stomach also for the next few days.

Gave him some chicken and rice for his dinner last night which he loved, but wouldn't touch it at bed time. This morning I came down to find that he had vomited it up again. I would say he hasn't vomited up everything that he ate, just some.

Gave him his medicine this morning, antibiotic went down fine but the ranitidine is liquid and he doesn't like the flavour of it. At lunchtime I found a little pool of liquid on the floor that he has obviously spat up. Again he hasn't touched any food today but I have just watched him go to the toilet and his poo is now runny and then he tried to vomit again but all he brought up was bile.

He has not lost his appetite as he still wants to eat and is trying to get at our food. When I am preparing his, he is hanging around expectantly but once I put it down for him he takes one look and changes his mind. He is still playing, running and jumping around as normal.

The vet said to keep an eye on him and take him back in a few days if no better or getting worse which I will definately do.

What else can I do to help him, or to get him to eat something?
    How long do I wait for the antibiotics to kick in?

Thanks for your help, sorry for the long post.

Kimbles

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I don't want to add to your worry but I personally would take him back to the vet now,or at least ring for advice.There is a danger your kitten will become dehydrated and could go down hill quickly,I would have thought he should have been showing signs of improvement by now.Please let us know how he gets on,hope he is feeling better soon.

3. Kimbles38

Hi Buffie

Thanks for your reply.
    I should probably add that he has been drinking water from his fountain so I wasn't too worried about dehydration.

4. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

I would call the vet again as he sounds poorly..

With the chicken I would not add any rice, just give the chicken and some of the water it was cooked in..

Four days of vomiting is not normal and if its affecting the other end too, it could be serious..give the vet a call..plus they might be able to give some thing else to stop the sickness.

5. Kimbles38

Thanks guys.
    Am on the phone to the vet now

6. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

Hope all goes ok, let us know how you get on..

7. KathinUK

KathinUK PetForums Senior

Hi Kimbles, Its sounds like your kitty feels nauseous - could you try again with the ranitidine as it can help with nausea.
    Also slippery elm syrup could help if you have any to hand.

Sometimes antibiotics can give rise to indigestion including diarrhea and as he already had an upset tummy then they may also be giving him excessive wind .... hence the nausea IMO.
    Do you have any probiotics - if so you could give him a tiny dose.

Kath

8. Kimbles38

I have just got back from the vet again.
    He is not worried, his tummy feels a bit gassy but nothing really apart from that.

He has changed his antibiotic in case that was the reason for the diarrhoea and gave him a shot of metoclopramide.

Also stopped the ranitidine and given antepsin liquid instead.
    His temp has come down but still too high so wants a temp check late tomorrow and a visit again on Wednesday if not improved.

9. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

Fingers crossed the new drugs kick in and he is better soon..

10. KathinUK

It might be worth making a note of the abx that could have upset him Kimbles so you can avoid it in the future.
    Sally has Metoclopramide [emeprid syrup] for her occasional nausea and it works really quickly with her - hope its the same for your kitty and that he feels better soon.

Are you giving him the boiled chicken and broth?

Kath

#10 KathinUK, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Thanks for the update,hope he picks up soon and is soon back to normal

12. Kimbles38

Thanks for all your help.
    Monty has eaten some chicken and rice for dinner.. (Picked out all the chicken, didn't really eat the rice) then he had a little nap followed by a big drink of water.

He is a little brighter now, hope he can hold the food down tonight and feel better in the morning.

13. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Hi glad he is feeling better. I have just got a Monty! He is about 17 weeks old!

14. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

I would not bother with the rice just give the chicken..so pleased he is brighter..

15. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

To be honest,I think Nicola mentioned this too,I would ditch the rice,it is of no benefit to Monty at all and may just be aggravating his already tender tum.Good to read that he has eaten some chicken :)

16. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Sorry Nicola
    I really do need to learn to type faster and not to stop and proof read before hitting "submit" :rolleyes: :D

17. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

You proof read :eek: :eek: I just hope!! :rolleyes:

18. Kimbles38

Thanks for all your suggestions Kath. He was given a shot of metoclopramide after I asked for an anti-emetic for him. (I work in pharmacy so am familiar with most drugs they use) he seems a bit happier now.

I might try and get some slippery elm for him if no improvement

19. Kimbles38

Hmmm, he must be feeling a bit better as he has just gone for the curtains!
    He only does that when he has too much energy!

20. KathinUK

:D :D :D :D
    Sounding better :thumbup:

Kath

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice