Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Poor Lou Lou

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by rottiesloveragdolls, Jul 25, 2009.

1. rottiesloveragdolls

Over the last few weeks shes been putting on weight again nothing new there as she does go up and down she gets fat i put her on a diet she loses it ,
    Trouble is this time she wasnt losing it and then i noticed her belly was so hard and her back legs where getting fatter as well (Not the front legs) shes been sick a few times and then she had the runs so yesterday i had her in the vets they checked her out Scanned her (no no babies shes a virgin still ) They noticed her heart wasnt doing what its supposed to do and the fat wasnt fat it was fluids, and her temp was 103.3
    The long and short of it is, she got 3 lots of different tablets, 1 lot for her heart, 1 lot for the fluid retention and 1 lot of Antibiotics, now i have to take her back in 10 days time, and the vet said if she isnt much better than we will have to have her pts shes only 6 and half years old she is keeping the tablets down but when she eats food within 10mins its up again same as the water she drinks, like something out of the Excocist goes at speed and everywhere
    but looking at her you wouldnt think there was much wrong but the vet did say shes not dieing but is very ill the symptoms she has is whats found in humans not animals but her quality of life wont be good if these tablets dont work, so fingers crossed they will

2. rona

rona Guest

Fingers crossed for you and your baby

3. rottiesloveragdolls

Thanx Rona :( i hope so too :( shes on 12 tablets a day no change as yet though :(

4. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I'm sorry I know what she means to you all, sending healing vibes and gentle hugs to loulou. xx

5. rottiesloveragdolls

bless you hun thanx ;) x

6. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Fingers crossed she will be better soon.
    xx

7. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Aww lyn sorry to hear that...hope all goes well xxx (((hugs)))

8. rottiesloveragdolls

Thanx guys im not giving up hope or on her yet ;)

9. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Gentle hugs to you both xx

10. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i'm really sorry to hear this:( fingers crossed she'll keep her medication down & they'll start to work x

11. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

aww sorry to hear this, fingers cross, sending get well vibes and big hugs.

12. rottiesloveragdolls

well it looks like the medication has now started to kick in her belly has gone down a bit :D but not her legs yet and shes not thrown up yet this morning, so thanx everyone for you good wishes she looks like shes now on the UP again ;) still a fair way to go yet to full health :( but looking promising

13. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

so glad to hear shes improving:)

14. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

I'm, so sorry to hear she is unwell, but glad to hear she is showing some improvement, hopefully things will keep getting better for her, sending you both hugs and Lou lou well wishes xxxx

15. rottiesloveragdolls

well she finished all her medications last week and all was well :) till this morning :( her legs are swelling up again :( im now waiting for my vets to call me to see what we do next :(

16. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I'v got my fingers crossed for her.

Hopefully the vet will have some good news

xx

17. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear this what heart condition does she have? what tablets is she on this sounds similar to the condition my springer had the onset is around 6. Monty was on 13 tabs a day heart and diaretic.

#17 haeveymolly, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  18. rottiesloveragdolls

not sure what the prob with her heart is :confused: he just said it wasnt pumping right :( shes been on Ampicare 250mg 6 times a day Vetmedin 5mg 2 times a day, and Frusemide 40mg 4 times a day :( she was fine but now they have finished shes swelling up again :(

19. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

monty had D.C.M (enlarged heart), breathless under excersice and his lips gums were pale he was given 4 days to live as he had gone to collapse so not as dire for lou, he was on frusmide and vetmedin the best combination they work very well together "well done your vet".

This condition was in montys case was genetic, its a condition that if found in humans young adults late teens, its when the pumping chambers start failing the heart has to work so much harder, hence the breathlessness under exertion the heart becomes very large the left side is mostly effected and the heart wall weakens as it enlarges, as it weakens it effects the lungs they become sluggish and retain water, i actually saw the xray of his heart and i couldnt believe how big it was, if it is this let me know i dealt with this for 11 months many.many emergency trips to the vets very stressfull time but it doesnt sound to me the time for the vet to be talking, putting her to sleep, dont give up too easily he got back to his normal walks very gradual over time after been given 4 days if the drugs didnt work and we had him 11 months some dogs if caught early like it sounds yours has with the right care can live much longer than monty did.

20. rottiesloveragdolls

Vet has just called me and said to put her back on the medications she will need them for the rest of her life,
    The only prob is the cost :( it is going to cost us around £70 per month :eek:
    I did used to have her insured with E & L but the vets wont use them anymore :( so i stopped it about 18months ago :( and found other insures to be expensive, Wished i had now this is going to be hard to find every month she is only 6 and half, :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice