Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My poor little cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by catzz, May 15, 2010.

1. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

I posted on the health section about Rosie not being well. I was concerned that it was F I P. She was back at the vets today for x rays and an eventual ultrasound. Unfortunately the vet found a 5 cm tumour growing in her lungs and wrapped round the base of her heart. He felt that it would be kinder not to wake her up as she'd probably only have days left. With much sadness I agreed with him so she was put to sleep around 4.30. She had gone down hill very quickly, only started showing signs of illness at the start of the week and picked up a little in the middle of the week before going downhill quite fast last night.

We will miss her hugely, she was such a lovely little cat and settled right in to our house and seemed very happy for the short time she was with us.

The vet said the tumour was a very rare one. He'd only seen it once before.

We want to get another cat as soon as possible. Empty cat baskets are such sad things. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is not taking to the new cat because it isn't Rosie. What do you think?

2. Tiggertots

Tiggertots PetForums Senior

Poor Rosie! What an awful story and must have been such a hard decision for you to make :( The only good thing that has came from this is that you picked up on her feeling ill quickly and she didn't suffer. My thoughts are with you, your family and little Rosie. Hope she's chasing butterflies at rainbow bridge xx

3. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear of your loss.
    RIP Rosie xxx

4. malibu

malibu Guest

I'm so sorry hon :(
    R.I.P Rosie

5. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

my heart goes out to you, how very very sad :(

R I P Rosie.xxxxxxxxxx

6. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

So sorry RIP Rosie

I think it is entirely your call about getting another kitty - if it helps to deal with your grief then thats a good thing :) xx

7. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for your loss,I had to do the same with my beloved cat, as when they had to operate as an emergency(poor boy was gasping for breath,they thought he had torn his diaphragm) it was found that he had tumours on his liver.It's so hard to cope with loss but at least they didn't suffer.My thoughts are with you and I hope Rosie is at peace and playing with all the other cats wherever they all may be.

8. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear your news about Rosie,that is a terrible thing to have happen to you.At least she is not going to suffer now.

As far as getting a new cat then I would go for one that is very different look wise to Rosie,no one could replace her but I think a new cat/kitten will help you with your grief,but you have to do it in your own time!

I feel some lucky cat somewhere is going to have a very loving home soon.

RIP Rosie,sleep well little lady!

Izzie
    Izzie

9. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry :( it must have been a heartbreaking decision, but at least she didn't suffer and she was in the very best of care. My thoughts are with you.
    RIP little one.

I agree with suzy - its entirely up to you whether to get a new cat and when :)

10. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Im so very sorry to hear about Rosie bless her little paws, Im sure you will be fine with another cat but I would get one a different colour & although very sad it was a tumour at least not FIP so you dont have to worry about bringing another cat in :) xxx

11. Lulu's owner

Lulu's owner PetForums VIP

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. As people here have said, there's nothing wrong with getting another one very soon, and there are so many cats needing a home that I think it can only be a good thing. My Lulu moved in with me just over a year ago the day after my sixteen year old Kitten had been put to sleep and it did feel strange for a long time. However, I reasoned that it didn't matter to Kitten, she'd not moved in while he was alive. It has taken a long time to warm to her, though, probably about a year, and I felt she wasn't really "my" cat until recently, which may be the effect of getting a new cat really soon. I don't regret it though, and I am gradually becoming very fond of her. So I don't think there's any rule about how long you should wait, it just depends on how you feel and, possibly, who turns up on your doorstep.

12. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

when my cat was pts i got smokey and at first i found it so hard because he wasnt the cat i had but know smokey and the other cat i got after him holly and me are getting on fine it hard at first but it get easyer in time i am sorry for your loss it sad and hope another cat fill that sadness

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh no, I am so so sorry :( I had my fingers firmly crossed that she was getting better. Sleep well little Rosie!

14. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Very Sad. Now at Rainbow Bridge with our Ollie and The rest of The Gang. Hope You get another cat soon. R.I.P Rosie.

15. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Thank you all so much for your kind messages - even though I'm having a hard time reading them, they mean a lot.

Rosie was a wonderful cat. She had only been with us since the end of February having had a very rough start in life. She was never bad tempered and even this morning hopped in to bed for a cuddle. This time last week she was chasing flies in the garden. It was lovely watching her getting to know the garden and exploring. She was only a baby - somewhere between 7 and 10 months I'm a little shocked at the strength of my reaction to her death - they really do worm their way in to your heart very quickly!

In an odd way, it's almost a comfort to know it was a tumour that she'd probably had since she was born and not something we have done or not done.

No cat could ever replace her but we will get another.

16. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about your cat, it's like a death in the family. If it feels right for you then go ahead and get another cat. My thoughts are with you.

17. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss, at least like you say she wasn't poorly for long so she didn't suffer a prolonged illness before you found out what was wrong which must have been a blessing.

RIP little one.

I think you have to give your self time to grieve and then think about sharing your love with another kitster! I had to wait nearly 3 years before i could get another gsd when i lost my last one as it didn't feel right before, but i know other people who have got another pet immediatly as they say it has helped with the grieving, it is all personal to your needs and only you will know what is right bless you. X

18. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

I got my present cat about 8 weeks after my other was pts,this wasn't intentional but my neighbours cat had just had kittens and we went "just to have a look".Well Scamp crawled over to us,eyes closed,and we said that's it he's chosen us and he became the latest member of the family.I did feel it may be too soon and I had vowed I wouldn't put myself through the heartbreak again,but I hated putting the bowls away and it felt right.I never regretted it and I am sure my other cat's would have been happy that I was letting another cat into my heart. This cat will be 15 tomorrow and I treasure every moment I have with him,I have no regrets,you should get another cat when it feels right for you,no one has the right to say if it is too soon,you'll know:) Thinking of you as I am sure everyone else is.

19. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Thank you all

Very sad today not to have a little cat crawl in to bed this morning :( It's been the nicest thing over the last months to have her curl up in bed with us. Before we got her, I never knew how something so small could bring so much love and joy in to the house. Very sad putting away her bed and her bowls. The vet has had her cremated and her ashes scattered at the pet cemetary. He asked if we wanted to bring her home but I don't think we could have coped with seeing her dead. I have kept a couple of her favourite toys and some of her molted hair in a box and we'll plant something in the garden for her. There are a lot of tears today - not really sure how I'm going to cope with work tomorrow. Can't not go in as boss would not look kindly on it. In any case I'm hoping it will help. We'll see. Also not lookimg forward to picking up her carrier from the vets - I should be picking her up in her carrier :( I do know it'll get easier though.

Strange how things turn out though - I emailed the rescue centre we got her from to let them know what happened. I mentioned that we were thinking about getting another one. They got back to me straight away and remembered Rosie well - her story was a horrendous one and they'd put a lot of time into getting her right. They also said that they were desperately looking for a home for a 10 month old girl and her 9 week old female kitten and would we please consider them. So it looks like we'll be getting them next weekend. OH wants to call one of them Rosie but I don't think that's a great idea - we'll see. They will never replace our little Rosie, she was such a special special little cat but maybe they'll help ease the pain a bit... Somebody tell me how long it takes to get better

20. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved little Rosie. Because of you she knew love and kindess.

I look forward to hearing about your new furbabies when they come home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice