Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Niece.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SLB, Aug 21, 2013.

1. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

My 3 year old niece made me proud yesterday. :)

After a morning in town shopping, and pointing out the dogs and asking me what they were, breed wise, we then took the kids to the park in the woods. My BiL is picky about the dogs being in the car so they weren't with us at all yesterday. Anyway after half an hour at the park we headed back to the car park. On the way Maya saw a puppy. She started to run towards it, but then stopped - we were trying to get a buggy through a gate and got stuck. But she stopped, she came back and she asked if she could stroke the puppy. My sister said she'd have to ask the lady. She grabbed my hand - we'd at this point worked out the buggy crisis, and pulled me. She stood a good distance away and asked "Please may I stroke your puppy". The lady said yes so I kept the sharp end of this very full of beans 11 week old lab busy whilst Maya stroked his body.

At the end of it once my sister had caught up with us, Maya stood up, on her own accord, thanked the lady for letting her stroke the dog and we left the couple to walk their pup. Maya was lagging a bit and I didn't see why until they rounded the corner, she'd clocked on to a couple of Beagles. We didn't have time for her to stroke these so I had to pick her up and hurry her along a little. But she still asked if she could ask the people if she could stroke them. I had to tell her that she couldn't stroke every dog she saw but it was good that she asked.

After a quick toilet trip at the hotel, they came back to mine. Maya is obsessed with my dogs - unfortunately the feeling is not mutual, or at least not in a good way. Pen can be over the top with her and Lou isn't sure what to make of her.

But Maya just waltzed in, told them to move when they tried to lick her and she picked up a rope toy, I had to remind her to hold it by her side or they would try and grab it from her and after that there was no stopping her. Pen always gets the toy and she'd bring it back to Maya and apart from the first time when Maya tried to pry it out of her mouth by trying to pull her jaws apart - to which I told her that if she touched her chin and told her to give rather than just give - there was no stopping her. Pen was amazing too. Gave it every time, didn't jump up, didn't try and mug her. I wish I had taken photos. This little 3 year old surrounded by 4 dogs bigger than her and Missy Shih Tzu sat at her feet and she looked in total control of all of them.

So apart from a couple of hiccups - she did me proud. :)

I have to also say my dogs did me proud too, they don't get to see Maya often but they have learnt that she's not horrible. Lou is still a little unsure but I think he's more unsure of whether she is to be left alone or played with. My sister told me that he had bared his teeth. But what she'd really seen was his Elvis impression.

2. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

You're really starting your niece on the road to having a great relationship with dogs!! :thumbup1:

And I love her name!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice