Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My new Shih tzu

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Alli and Trixy, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Alli and Trixy

Alli and Trixy PetForums Junior

:) Hi guys I've just bought a puppy shih tzu, called Trixy.
    She has had the runs since I got her, i changed her food from pedigree chum to wainwrights she loved it at first but still after 4 days she still has the runs, and not eating that much now.
    I even tried giving her her old food but wouldn't eat that, ive also tried wet food.
    I bought her some chicken today and she loved it, Is it safe to give puppies fresh chicken?
    Thank you
    Alli x

[​IMG]

#1 Alli and Trixy, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi welcome to the forum, sorry your pup is not well, hope she is better soon. have you taken her to vets? 4 days is quite along time for a pup to have runs.

3. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

I'm guessing you didn't change her food gradually??

As for the chicken, how did you cook it?

How old is Trixy?

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It is safe, and i think you will find the constant chopping and changing is what is upsetting her tummy.

Dietry changes should be done over 10-14 days.

Ideally she should have been left on the food from the breeder.

Best thing to do now is give her chicken for a few days, then slowly introduce the Wainwrights. You may find she will become a bit fussy after having chicken, but dont be tempted to give in and mix tasty things with her food.

5. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hello and welcome, i have 3 shih tzus they are lovely little dogs.:D
    I allways try to stick to the food that the puppy is used to, then if you are going to change it, do it very very gradually, or it does upset their tummy im afraid, also with shih tzus, do wipe over their face when they have eaten, because the flat face sometimes does get messy, also wipe the eyes over,and keep an eye on them, :)

6. Alli and Trixy

Trixy is 9 weeks old.
    I bought the chicken from Morrisons already cooked.
    No i didn't do it gradually, now reading this forum i should have :blushing:
    I haven't had her to the vets yet, If she is still has it tomorrow i will book her in straight away.
    Thanks guys x

7. Alli and Trixy

Yeah i have been cleaning her eyes and face every day and bum all the time its like having a new baby :)
    I will try sticking with the chicken then try and get her on the wainwrights, Is wainwrights good! The lady at the pets at home advised me to take her off pedigree chum puppy and put her on wainwrights x

8. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

I wouldn't give the puppy already cooked chicken. You don't know what Morrisons have put in it (salt, seasonings etc).

Yes, you need to get her to the vets and you should change food over gradually, no matter how old they are.

9. Alli and Trixy

Thanks i never thought of that, should i just cook it myself! x

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Boiling is usually good.

Get some nice breast meat.

11. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

hi there hun i carry on giving food u was told to feed but at intervals substitute a bit of something else i use royal canin ir puppy nutrochoice is good gradually less of old food and more of new but must be graduall
    im sure trixy loves the chicken lol but beware of giving too much also as was said previously seasonings in cooked chicken from morisons
    try some plain chicken fillets wrap in foil and put in a pan of water to biol then simmer keeps all the nutrients in the chicken and much better for trixy
    usually by the time my pups go they are on dry food but also are eating a bit of chicken ,tripe, teeny bit of liver and scrambled egg etc but all in moderation hun
    Graduall is the key :)

12. Alli and Trixy

Thank you, I will give it a go x

13. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

ur welcome hun ..anytime hope she improves bless her:)

14. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I give my dogs all kinds of foods that people on here moan about but nothing has ever given them the runs, the only thing that did was cooked chicken from morrisons :blushing:
    The best thing to do is boil a little bit of chicken and maybe add some boiled rice to it. All natural, no flavourings or spices. The other thing you could try is a scrambled egg, great for settling upset tummies and firming up the poop.

When you say the runs, do you mean squirty poos or just really soft ?

15. Lindy Lou

Lindy Lou PetForums Junior

I didn't know you could give Shih Tzu's egg, I would be really grateful for any tips of safe foods to give my Buddy (Shih Tzu). He loves toast, is that ok? Thanks in advance.:confused:

16. Alli and Trixy

Its diarrhea, Ive just noticed blood in it, i will take her straight to the vets in the morning. She seems ok in herself but she is a quiet pup anyway, she is chewing on my toes at the min lol.
    Do you think i should give her scrambled egg tonight or should i wait till i see the vets!
    x

17. Lindy Lou

Lindy Lou PetForums Junior

Hope she's ok!!!

18. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

Aww bless her, hope she is going to be ok, and the vets can give her something to help her.

19. Camsie84

Camsie84 PetForums Member

Please don't take this as being intrusive, but did you buy her from a breeder? I worry about how many dogs are bought, albeit with all good intentions, from disreputable vendors who sell dogs that are poorly.

She looks beautiful, so I wish her well - I had a Lhasa Apso who always had a dodgy tummy - try a bit of scrambled egg!

20. Alli and Trixy

Yeah i bought her from a breeder, She has had her first injection and i also got 4 weeks free insurance.
    I got an appointment with the vets at 4pm, hopefully he can sort her out.
    Ive never seen any blood since last night so fingers crossed xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice