Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My new puupy :). Needs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by NathanbUK, Jul 23, 2009.

1. NathanbUK

NathanbUK PetForums Junior

Hi everyone, this is my first proper post on here. So i'm getting a female chihuahua that will be 9 weeks old when I pick her up on 02/08/09. What I was wondering is have i got everything I need, I know books tell me this but dog owners thereselves will know more. So ive got a dog bed, food, bowl for food and another for water, Teething treats (for very young puppies), chewable toys to help with teething, a collar and leash (gonna buy a harness when shes older to avoid injury) a blanket and I think thats all. Am I missing anything??? Thankyouuuuuu

2. NathanbUK

Ive also got a toothpaste and brush for when shes old enough for her teeth to be brushed. P.S. if you want you can give me information on chihuahuas to if you want :)

3. LittleMissSunshine

LittleMissSunshine PetForums VIP

Hi, you sound like you have it covered! have you Puppy proofed your house and garden.? No escape holes, Lady liked to hide under the shed so I covered it over so she couldn't, no dangerous plants (see sticky in dog chat) and indoors no loose wires etc

I bet you're sooooo excited!!!! xxx

4. LittleMissSunshine

oh, and I use a tooth brush dipped in listerine to clean my dogs teeth xx

Sorry I can't give you any chihuahua specifics xx

5. NathanbUK

Thankyouuu so much for telling about the wires that'll need sorting, its like spaghetti junction behind are TV, wouldnt want her hurting herself, she was so tiny when i went looking at her days ago, extremely excited first dog!!

6. lady_r0gue

lady_r0gue PetForums Senior

Flea stuff and wormers? I assume your Chihuahua should be done when you get her but is best to check the dates with the breeder to be on the safe side ;)

7. NathanbUK

The owners said that theyve shes flead and wormed, do you know the vaccinations they need, should they be given just a day after shes home or a few weeks, its all new to me this :s thanks 4 the advice

8. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

We brought our puppy home on Saturday (she is 8 weeks). As well as hard toys, she loves safe soft toys too.

Are you crate training your pup?

9. NathanbUK

Well I explained to my mum that most people crate train, but she doesnt want to use a crate so I guess no, dont know what other methods there are though...

10. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

A puppy should be vacc for the first time at 10 weeks then again at 12 weeks then a week after she can go out for walks

11. NathanbUK

Thankyou 4 the info vacs, reassured me now, was panicing thinking it was gonna be 2 late. Thanks!!!

12. lady_r0gue

lady_r0gue PetForums Senior

Yep - just phone your local vet, they'll book your pup in for her vaccinations and you can also ask them advice over the phone or when you go in x

13. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Vets tend to do earlier vacs now, as early as 8 weeks but you safe with the 10 weeks. Plus i dont think 8 weeks should be done, the mothers milk covers the babies immune system till 12 weeks anyway :)

14. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

either puppy training pads or newspapers for toilet training.

i have a full box of 100 puppy training pads for sale if anyone is interested (sorry to hijack your thread)

good luck

karen

15. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

You need to get your mum to read up on crate training :) Nelly has slept in hers for 5 days and has gone through the night without messing in it.

16. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Go into Pet at Homes as they have Science Plan dry puppy food on trial £1.99 per bag, and it is quite a big bag for a trial size. I took my chihuahuas for their injections at 8 weeks and then again at 10 weeks and 10 days after that they we ok to be taken out in the wide world, have it wormed and de flead regularly. I always keep a tube of Nutri-cal. It is a suppliament which it brilliant for chihauhau's who can get a sugar drop at a flick of a switch epecially if it misses a meal, it is called Hypoglacemia.A little nutri cal rubbed on the gums or let it lick some off your finger will bring the sugar levels back up giving yu enough time to take it to the vet. Have a read on this it is very important for you to know about. When you put the puppy food down for it to eat,, DONT ASSUME THAT IT HAVE EATEN if you havent seen it eat. They will eat little and often, but must eat regular. This isnt meant to frighten you, but good for you to know, I wish I had known about this before I got my chihuahua. I wont go into that part ok. I love chihauhau's they are so loving.
    Get pet insurance aswell, as the vets take a massive amount when they give you the bill, and chihuahua's are small and can have an accident easy. I hope I havent worried you about the other thing, HAVE FUN AND ENJOY XXXXXXXXXXX I bet you are excited, have you thought of any names yet.

17. LittleMissSunshine

Go on Amazon or anyother book retailer and get a copy of Gwen Baileys 'Perfect Puppy' book...

It will tell you most of what you need to know to get you going with or there is the Doglopedia.....

I know a lot of people who swear by Gwen Bailey.

Good Luck, oh and remember we're always on hand for advice xx:)

I really would advise looking into crate training, Both of mine started off that way, it happened not to suit Lady but Poppy did super well with it (lady just stood in her poo if she did go and was a nightmare)!!

18. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

Everything already mentioned (also strongly recommend crate training) but also book on to puppy classes as soon as possible (after vacs done)
    Poo bags, lots of kitchen roll for mopping up puppy puddles, along with some odour remover to stop her going back to the same spot (normal cleaners can make it worse)
    I would also recommend gwen bailey or info on clicker training, and finally a hot water bottle/heat pad to help her settle in (as she will be used to snuggling up to mum & litter mates

19. Viki

Viki PetForums Senior

As xxwelshcrazyxx says Pet Insurance for your new puppy is a good idea, we all know from experience that vets bills can be huge! and in comparison for a small monthly fee, when you get that big bill into the thousands you'll be glad you did :)

If you want to compare some of the dog insurance policies around click the banner in my signature, look out for the Defaqto rating, as this is an independent research group that rates them with a star system based on comparison with the other products available.

Hope that helps, and enjoy your new arrival!! :D
    Viki

20. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

lookj up on the net............blueboys chihuahuas they have a really good site, I have kept this to my favorite as it is very very helpfull, especially on Hypoglacemia. I sent you a pm not sure if you got it ok. xxxxxxxxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice