Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My new kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Shannon_Anne, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Shannon_Anne

Shannon_Anne PetForums Newbie

I got a kitten on Friday his name is Bam and he is 7 weeks old :001_wub:
    I am completely smitten with him.
    However I am a little bit worried he may be becoming too dependent on me, he follows me around the house. I have read this isn't a bad thing but I feel all maternal today because it's my first day without him.
    I hope he is okay!
    Also he is on adult pouches these can't be providing the necessary items for him to grow. Do you think I should put him on kitten food?

I will upload a photo later :)

2. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi
    Yes definately put him on kitten food, adult food won't contain enough nutrition and calories for a growing kitten. I would also recommend dry food as well. I use James Well Beloved. You can get free samples from their website. If he hasn't had dried food before you will need to mix it with wet to start with and slowly increase the dry. It is ok to give both, I do that too. It is great that he is following you around, it shows that he trusts you and if you let him do this and pay him lots of attention he will turn into a wonderful loving pet. I lost my two cats last month, one got hit by a car outside my house, the other went missing two weeks later, I think he went looking for his brother and then got hit by a car also. They were only 1 years old. I miss them so much and they were both like yours, followed me everywhere and as soon as I sat down they would both be on me. They were my best friends. I am going to see two kittens tonight, should be able to have them at the end of Aug as they are only 3 weeks old at the moment. Considering keeping them as indoor cats although my DH doesn't agree. We don't live on a busy road we were just very unfortunate! I am hoping that they will be like Ted and Dusty. Good luck with your new kitten he is adorable!
    Sharon

3. Shannon_Anne

He is currently on Whiskas adult food but they do a kitten variety too so I will get him on that. I am thinking of introducing him to dry food as well eventually :).
    I do let him follow except when I am going to the toilet or having a shower.
    He waited outside the bathroom for me last night cuz I was in the shower.
    He likes to 'Meow' a lot at me, get in small spaces and sleep on my neck which is so cute.
    Bam is a little bugger at night time though he still wants to play I think I am going to need to get him plenty of toys to entertain himself.
    That's so unfortunate about your kitties :(. I had a similar situation with my bunnies when one passed away naturally the other just couldn't live without him and I swear she died of a broken heart.
    Hopefully the kittens you see tonight will be the perfect replacements.
    Keep an eye on this post I will upload some pics later

Shannon <3

4. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Awww he sounds cute...my cat was like this when he was young and still is! I cannot remember the last time I went to the toilet alone!!:D

Your kitty does deffo need to be on kitten food and not adult as they need the extra nutrients in kitten food - have fun with him I love them at the kitty stage! :Dxx

5. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

jst a little advice on the food. deff switch him to kitten food, Sheldon was fed kitten food and his brother fed adult. his brother is half the size due to this.
    be careful not to give him too much dry food as it can cause serious health problems in male cats, and maybe try and get him on a kitten food with higher meat content than whiskers. a few ppl on here use hi-life.
    dnt buy in bulk till you find the rite one for him.

good luck, and dnt worry he'll be alrite alone. he'll prob jst be dreamin away.

6. Shannon_Anne

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My baby Bam <3

#6 Shannon_Anne, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  7. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

Aaw he's gorgeous :)

8. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

look how blue his eyes are.
    hes lovely, i dunno how you get out the house id wanna cuddle him all day he he

9. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

awww your kitten is gogeous

viv xx ;) ;)

10. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

What a sweetie.:)

11. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

How cute is he!!!
    Are visit went well with the kittens and are bringing them home at the end of august. We are having a boy and a girl. Charlie and Lola!
    They will be 9 weeks old when we get them. Can't wait!!
    Sharon
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice