Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my new gsd puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Siobhan49, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Siobhan49

Siobhan49 PetForums Newbie

Hi guys,
    I'm new to this forum stuff so not entirely sure if i'm posting in the correct place but I need some advice on my new puppy...
    He is a 10 week old male gsd pup and has been doing fantastic so far except for one issue ... he is biting everything including us (infact mainly us!!!) ... We have been advised to try numerous things such as: shouting out as if hes hurting us when his teeth contact our skin, walking away when playing (but he only chases your feet), putting him out the room for 10seconds then letting him back in, scruffing/pinning him down, a bottle with stones in it to make a loud noise etc and none of the above seems to work - hes not bothered by anything and is very confident and most of the above have only escalated the issue so need soemthing new that will work. He has also found his voice recently and so is growling and barking at as now when telling him off (he doesnt understand no obviously so this has no use either) ... We start puppy training in the next 2 weeks and hope this will help and he can also start going out proper walks next saturday which should kill some energy but I really need something in the meantime as don't want to affect our bonding with him whilst at home! I know its an attention thing as he's young but I don't want to be affectionate with him when hes behaving badly as this will only encourage him ... Please help!!! Thanks. :):):)

2. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I think you will need to choose a method and perservere with it :) It wont work straight off, changing methods will just confuse him, you have been through alot of them. I would personally do a yelp and stop playing, cross arms if need be. If they got too rough with litter mates, they would just stop playing with them! Also remember that puppy's need to chew as their teeth come through, that can be biting aswell if he's not to careful! Has he got plenty of toys designed for chewing, nylabones etc.

*Heidi*

3. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Sounds like my pup years ago...It was impossible to pat her...your hand was immediately grabbed hold of...but not hard.
    She grew out of it after puppyhood.

4. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

Max used to do this.... As said above, choose one method and stick to it, make sure everybody in the family does the same. An effective method is to ignore your pup completey, say 'no' firmly and literally turn your back on him and ignore him until he's calm, then carry on as normal. Dogs hate to be ignored, much more effective than shouting! - What is shouting?? Does a pup understand what the loud noise means?? Nope, it's just noise, which means he's getting attention for his behaviour! - Great! Attention, lets keep doing that to get attention - Eventually a dog which is consistently shouted at will ignore you. Its your actions he will respond to.

Patience and consistency is the key. Please stick with it, because although GSD's need firm, loving and consistent handling with routine training ( GSD's are very intelligent, they need stimulation to stop boredom, allow a dog to be bored and you end up with all sorts of problems ) But do things right you will be rewarded with a fabulous friend, who will love you and be loyal to the last of his days :)

I wish you many happy years together :)

5. Siobhan49

Siobhan49 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all the suggestions!! there very much appreciated. I think I will speak with my partner and try and decide on which one works best and persevere with it! I think just initially your scared you are doing something wrong as everyone suggests so many different things but it's nice to know other people have had the same issues :) I will keep you informed of how we are getting on !!! fingers crossed he will learn hehe ...

x

6. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

'Cough'...ahem...piccies of the pup? :D :D:D

7. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

Awww! Mistakes are going to happen, it's how you deal with those that are important, not the mistake itself :)

Looking forward to updates, and piccies if you don't mind! We love GSD's. Lost our beloved boy ( in sig pic ) last october, and still heartbroken.

8. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Hi moved thread into the dog section.. You may get more advice here.. :)

#8 momentofmadness, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  9. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

Choose a method and work with it. But do not pick up/scruff/pin down. He's more likely to develop fear aggression and could be biting you for real in a few months time!

I would keep him on a lead in the house and have one person interact and another hold the lead. As soon as he bites, walk him away for 10-20 seconds, just standing there giving him no contact what so ever- not even eye contact. Then reinact play. When (and he will!) he bites, take him further away and wait for 20-30 seconds. And keep going like this.

But there are many methods. Just make sure to reward all good behaviour- you can never reward it enough.

10. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

It helps though to understand what you are trying to achieve. "Shouting at the pup as if you were hurt" is a perverse less effective way to teach bite inhibition, based on the recommended "Yelp" or "Oww!" followed by short cessation of play, when it does not excite the dog and you get the hoped for natural cessation response learnt by play with litter mates.

Top Puppy Rearing Book : Dogstardaily Freedownloads

Leading expert Dr Iain Dunbar explains puppy biting and play Puppy Biting

The trouble is if you don't understand what you're trying to achieve and the reaction you expect, you can't judge whether a method is working or not. Anecdotes are very dangerous, as a technique which worked well in one pup, may not in another, or the technique seemed to work but actually leaves in long term other issues.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice