Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My new Chihauaua refuses to eat dog food?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lauren Teasdale, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Lauren Teasdale

Lauren Teasdale PetForums Newbie

I bought my new dog Tilly 5 days ago now, she’s 4 years old and she’s settled in perfectly. Her previous owners said that they just fed her on there leftovers and tinned dog meat.
    I noticed that she doesnt touch her food at all, every day when I put it down for her she just isn’t bothered and will wait for leftovers or treats instead.
    So I started to do tough love, and I stopped giving her leftovers altogether hoping that she will start to eat her food again. She’s not eaten in 2 days now. Iv tried all
    Sorts of different brands and flavours, and even tried mixing some gravy with her food to entice her in a bit but she just isn’t interested! She would rather go hungry.
    Has anybody else had this problem? I heard that Chihauauas can be picky eaters, but this is worrying! I don’t want the poor girl to starve but she can’t live off scraps for the rest of her life.
    Any advice appreciated, thankyou!

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

Thats a huge amount of change for 5 days.
    New home, new routine, new people... and constantly changing foods.
    What dog food did she have in her old home? If she ate that there, stick with that for a while and let her properly settle before changing things up.
    As long as she's not losing weight and is behaving fine otherwise, she's probably just waiting for those tasty scraps. A healthy dog isn't going to starve itself.

I assume she's happy to take treats from you? You can use her daily ration as training treats rather than in a set meal (providing you use a complete food, not actual treats), or you could feed out of something like a kong, maze bowl, treat ball or licky mat to make things more interesting.

Torin. likes this.
  3. Lauren Teasdale

Lauren Teasdale PetForums Newbie

It is a lot of change for her isn’t it! And they brought some spare food that they had been feeding her when they brought her to me, but she seemed to hate it and would only eat our leftovers. I think she’s got so used to human food that the thought of dog food makes her sick lol.
    She will take treats from people, but she is very picky about what she likes with those too. She loves the chewy stick treats and dental chews but turns her nose up at everything else. She’s a little madam!
    I will definitely give that a go though, but I have a feeling she won’t even bother. She’s so laid back and hasn’t even shown the slightest bit of interest in any toys or games at all, even if they include treats. she just wants to be walking or sat on someones lap cuddling.
    It’s just worrying! I can’t imagine how hungry I’d be after not eating for 2 days

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice