Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My New Baby

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by oldoak, Aug 6, 2009.

1. oldoak

oldoak PetForums Newbie

This is my new boy - or at least I think he's a boy :blushing: I had to settle for a pet shop because there are no breeders too close to me. They said that "even vets can't properly tell what sex dwarf hamsters are". I said that maybe the vets should log on to this forum then :001_tt2:

Anyway, we've called him Amos. He's supposed to be 8 or 9 weeks old and I was told he is a dwarf Russian. If anyone can tell me if that is correct, I'd be grateful. I have attached a photo - he doesn't stay still very long so it isn't a brilliant one. He is a bit of a nipper but once you get him in your hand he's fine and I only got him yesterday. We're struggling with the Rotastak cage because of the vertical tubes and I need to get some more ladders but we're getting there between us. I am already completely in love :eek:

Attached Files:

#1 oldoak, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Amos is very cute. He looks friendly. :)

3. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

Amos is lovely I can see why your in love. :)

4. oldoak

oldoak PetForums Newbie

yep, I'm completely smitten :) I've just got to stop giving him treats now because otherwise he's going to get wedged in one of the tubes :rolleyes:

5. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

Oh no you don't want that and have to get a bottle brush to push him out :eek:

6. pets-life

pets-life Banned

Great photos.

The first few days are always the most enjoyable with new hamsters I find.

Hope you have lots of fun with your "new baby".

7. oldoak

oldoak PetForums Newbie

LMAO No I really don't want to go there!:hand:

8. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Aww he's beautiful.:001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:
    Pets at home used to sell the ladders but I don't know if they still do or not.

9. oldoak

oldoak PetForums Newbie

Thanks - I think so too! I tried P@H when I got him yesterday but they didn't have any so I'll order some from Ebay. Thanks for info :wink5:

10. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Awwwww he's like a little ball of cotton wool :D

11. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

He is gorgeous, there are two types of russian dwarf hamsters that look very similar, Campbells and Winter whites, most sold in pet shops will be a hybrid of the two species. I have three very Campbells looking dwarfs but I was told if they have larger eyes (like Amos) they are more Winter White. I am no expert though he just looks like a gorgeous little hammie to me.

12. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

looks like a winter white russian dwarf to me so they were correct !
    haha not even vets can tell ................. my arse !!!!!! and if they cant then they need to bloody learn if they are a vet !

in the males they will have 3 spots 1st being the anus - gap - penis- middle of belly there will be a scent mark that is likely to be brown in colour

if you have that then you have a male, at 8-9 weeks old you should be able to tell quite easily

i have 5 of these dwarfs and 2 our of the 5 are nippers but luckily it doesnt really hurt unless they really grab on to your skin lol

13. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Little Spikelet went to his new home at 8 weeks and had huge testicles already although he was a Campbells I should think Winter Whites would be the same.

14. oldoak

oldoak PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone - at least they got his breed right. When he calms down a bit I'll try having a look though it doesn't really matter because he's on his own. They did try to make me take two but if they couldn't be sure how to sex them and they were boy and girl I'd end up with babies in no time and nowhere to keep them :eek: At what age are they considered fully grown?

He is adorable just hope he stops nipping or we'll have to have words and no more treats :rolleyes:

15. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

Aww he's gorgeous :) great name too.

16. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

these grow pretty fast so ide say at about 12-13 weeks they are pretty much fully grown in length but may but on the pounds then quite easily as ive found with one of mine.
    i also weigh my everyday to ensure they are healthy and because i breed them i can be more sure of when they are due to pop :D

good luck with the little guy (hopefully) lol :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice