Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My neighbours cat :(

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by uniresearch, Oct 16, 2013.

1. uniresearch

uniresearch Banned

My neighbours cat is not looked after well at all. :(

I would so like to cat nap her, and pamper her. At the moment I worm her, frontline her and feed her. She sits outside my french doors most of the day, and sits up at my livingroom window with begging eyes to let her in.

I have spoken to my neighbour about the awful worm burden the little cat has (worms crawling out her bottom constantly), and she just shrugs her shoulders and scowls at me. The cats is skin and bone.

I have tried to attach a pic of the cat, hope it works.

2. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

Phone the RSPCA and tell them you believe this is an urgent matter that needs investigating. They should respond very quickly. They did for me when I contacted them about my neighbour

3. uniresearch

uniresearch Banned

Do you want to hear something crazy? The owner of this cat has reported an other neighbour to an animal welfare charity.

I know how these organisations work. She has 3 cats in total, they are rarely allowed in the home. But they are fed and watered of a certain fashion, and none of them at deaths door, so no point in reporting her. There are far worse cases these charities have to deal with.

My heart just goes out to this lovely black cat, who (in my mind) is begging for me to take her in, and give her more than just the minimal basic of care she gets at the moment.

When I approach my house (she sleeps in my garden bushes), she runs to me tail held high and tries to sneak in the front door with me. Ah, how it hurts to see animals not well cared for by their owners.

4. uniresearch

uniresearch Banned

Pics of the cat I call Olivia (as in Oliver, can I have some more please :frown5: )

Attached Files:

5. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Breaks your heart doesn't it when you see a beautiful, friendly cat just begging for attention and love... Such a sad situation when the owner just doesn't seem to care, they don't bloody deserve pets!!!!! :mad2::mad2::mad2: Well done for keeping an eye on her at least she is not totally on her own

6. Sophiebee

Sophiebee PetForums VIP

Would the neighbour be willing for you to adopt the cat? If they really dont care about their animals they may just be glad of one less expense :mad: it is heartbreaking to see them not being looked after. :frown5:

7. uniresearch

uniresearch Banned

It does break my heart, she is such a friendly little thing. I am giving her drontal tablets every 3 months now that I have noticed the roundworms and tapeworms crawling around and out her anus. Horrific! No wonder she is the size of a kitten (she is about 3 years old) and just skin and bone. At least the food I give her, will build up her strength rather than worms drawing away all the nutrition. I know cats can have a worm problem, but for the problem to be so evident indictates an extreme and uncaring neglectful owner.

I will tell Olivia, that another Olivia was showing concern for her.

8. uniresearch

uniresearch Banned

I have spoken to her several times regarding her cats, and especially in regards to this particular one due to poor body condition, weight and over whelming worm burden. But she says she loves her cats, and so do her children. Her house is a hovel, really dirty and her and her man are into some dodgy dealings. So, I need to tread very carefully.

They are not my direct next door neighbours, they are the block running next to my house. Or I would cat nap her, but they would see her sitting at my windows inside the house and all hell would break loose. Sorely tempted though ;)

9. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

She may love her cat (supposedly) but she obviously doesn't know to look after one if she feels that worms crawling out of her bottom and being skin and bone are OK.

I'd call the RSPCA or the cats protection or something as the cat SHOULD NOT be her care! Its nice people like yourself though who try to do what they can :)

10. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Hope there is a happy outcome to these lovely wee mites :mad:

I hate reading stories like this :mad: I would take kittys in and give them some happiness. Horrible cat owners, why have a cats and not love and treat them right. :mad:

11. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

I'd call social services, too. If worms are visibly crawling out of the cat's bottom, and there are children in the house, then they are in danger of parasitic infestation, too.

Also, I would kidnap her and keep the blinds down . . . Also, odds are she isn't microchipped - deny it's their cat.

But you are right about the RSPCA - if some poor creature is kept barely alive, they will do nowt. Maybe it's just the ones round here, though - your branch might be more on the ball.

12. uniresearch

uniresearch Banned

I am hazarding a guess, that is why she doesn't let the cats inside her house anymore, due to the cats worm and flea infestations. The other two don't have outward signs of having worms unlike this poor little black one, but they to are bound have worms also, just to a lesser degree. There are lots of wooded area where I live, and Olivia (I don't know her real name) is very niffy at catching small voles and field mice, which is probably a contributing factor, shiver.

The cat owners OH threatens people with a baseball bat, and an all round bad sort. If I stole their cat, there would be repercussions, I know it.

Besides, I have my cat's health to consider really, and main reason I feel I can't take Olivia in. I would need to book Olivia in for vet treatment and testing for FIV etc before even considering taking her in. Though I am sorely tempted to do so, believe me. But baseball bat man scares me.

13. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Could you put a little cat kennel outside for her with some vetbed in for the bad weather if you can't let her in?

14. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

If you want to catnap her, you should have a forever home lined up for her. You cannot keep her, as the owners would notice, and you would be in a lot of trouble.

If you whisk her away and rehome her in another town, no-one will be any the wiser as to where she has disappeared to. You might even ask them what became of her, because you are worried, as you haven't seen her for a while, and she used to be in your window sill all the time.

15. uniresearch

uniresearch Banned

I have thought of that, but feel she deserves better. Certainly something to think about though.

You are so right in everything you say there.

And the right new home, a forever home, caring, high health care standards, which are sadly lacking now. I would not want the little angel to go from the frying pan into the fire!

16. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Perhaps, but when you have nothing, even a little is a vast improvement :) You could make it look like a pile of boxes so as not to attract attention from Baseball Bat Man, too.

Poor little mite, so glad she has someone looking out for her, well done you :)

17. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

If it were me, I'd take the cat in and if she asked where it'd gone I would not even tell her. If she seen it in the windows, Got a new cat isn't she cute? she can't prove it's hers unless its chipped right? (maybe that is mean, but I could not let the poor thing live like that any longer.)

It just makes me REALLY angry when people do not look after their animals and do not even want anyone to help them take care of them.

18. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

What harm would it do to contact the RSPCA and tell them your fears. Surely that is a more positive step instead of surmising what your branch will or will not do.

19. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

I would definitely report her, she wont know who has done as it will be kept from her, I did this a few years ago when a lovely Persian cross kept coming into my garden, with his fur hanging off his back, rang the RSPCA and said I didn't know whose cat it was,, I did and already had a word with the owner, she said she didnt want it spraying in her house,and couldn't afford to get I neutered,
    When the RSPCA woman came she said well if anyoe really wants to know what has happened to it they will ring us, they never did, so that's how bothered they were, the RSPCA lady said this cat will soon find a new home,
    He was lovely

20. emsN1

emsN1 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, have been reading this feed - made me very sad (hope you managed to adopt that little kitty!) - and was hoping for some advice, although my situation is nowhere near as extreme.

We moved into our current London flat nearly a year ago now and our nextdoor neighbour's young female calico cat has 'adopted' us. During summer, she used to jump through our doors and windows and sleep under the bed (sometimes we didn't even realise she was there). We never encouraged it and would put her out if we felt she'd been there too long, because we didn't want her owners to worry. This kitty is very timid and flighty but after letting herself in for a while, she seemed to get very comfortable with us.

She seems to be well-fed although she has a severe flea issue which she has now brought into our house. I've applied some drops to her (I am sure her owners wouldn't mind) and we've started leaving a bowl of water out for her because she goes mad for water - whether it's in a glass, the sink, bath or loo. She seems to drink a lot for a cat but her mouth is still showing signs of dehydration. I don't think they have a kitty litter and she is constantly defecating on our lawn.

She's not abused and I should not judge, but they joke by throwing water and stuff at her (and she is already so scared), they haven't attended to wounds she has (she ripped one of her toes and it was left that way so I cleared it up). She has got to the point where she wants to spend all her time here. I have to throw her out kicking and screaming because I understand she belongs with them. At night time, with our window open, she insists on sleeping on the bed, if we throw her out, she cries relentlessly outside the window.

We have come to love her dearly, she follows me everywhere and I feel like all she wants is someone to play with her (she is left alone all day next door) and give her some of the attention she craves. We were going to go and ask next door if we could buy her when we move to a bigger house, but they can be quite aggressive people and I don't want to cross any ethical lines. Honestly, I think we could give her a better quality of life, but who am I to take away someone else's cat? Does anyone have any advice on what to do? It worries me that when we move she'll be a bit lost. Thanks! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice