UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I'm new I googled dog advice forums and I found myself here.

My neighbour through the wall has got a dog from the dog's trust about a month ago. He told me before he got her that her previous owners handed her back after having got her from there because she howled.

I cut him some slack - he told them he was in all the time and that's not really strictly true - he does work from home but has days when he's out all day.

She howls. And howls and howls and howls.

He obviously went out at around 9am today and he's not back. He probably won't be back until after 5. She has been howling and howling since 9.15 just constantly. I have a dog myself and it's upsetting him - none of my dogs have ever done this (well not as far as I know and I usually take my boy with me and I'm not away all day like this)

This is every day if he goes out at all. For the whole time he's out. And it;s driving me insane I work from home and I just cannot concentrate she is so so upset.

How do I approach it with him? Do I tell him? How do I tell him? Do I ring the dogs trust and tell him he fibbed that he was in all day? What can I do to help the dog? Or what can he do?

Thank you and sorry it's so long.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
How well do you know him? Well enough to talk to him about it? I told my neighbour in our last house about his lab that barked non stop when left.

If you don't want to talk how about leaving a letter? Maybe suggest a dog walker or something to break up the dog's long day alone?

If he doesn't address the problem you'd have to then resort to reporting him for noise nuisance to the council I guess, but I'd try the friendly route first.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I know it sounds obvious, but is there any chance you could have the dog when he goes out? Failing that is there any way you could go in and chek on her?You ought to tell him she howls as there may be steps he can take. I wouldn't phone the Rescue as it sounds as if he is looking after her otherwise.

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
Speak to him and say that his dog is obviously distressed when out and, in addition, this is distressing you.

Google some information off the net and give it to him.

Explain that you will now be keeping a diary of the noise and, if no improvement is made you will have no choice but to contact the environnmental health at your council who can measure, monitor and if necessary fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Would it be cheeky to offer to have her/check on her? He's not very approachable. But she is so so upset.

The other issue would be that I don't want to have the responsibility of someone else's dog you know?

And to be clear, the noise is irritating but I'm much much more concerned that she's so upset

·
Registered
16,438 Posts
I agree with Dogless, pop round & explain to him what is happening, he may have thought everything was fine if the dog wasn't making a noise when he gets home so. If the dog is being left for long periods then suggest he gets someone else to help out such as a dog walker

You could offer to go & check on the dog when he is out for longer periods but, whilst this would be a nice gesture the dog isn't your responsibility & you probably have things that you need to do yourself.

If you explain the problem to your neighbour & he doesn't address the issue then the next step would be reporting him to the council who should then investigate.

Hope the situation improves for your sake as well as the dogs :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.