Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My mum's been bitten!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Starlite, May 25, 2010.

1. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Not by my dog tho!

SHe went into a friend of hers who has an akita which is muzzled when out. She asked A if she could pet him and the owner said "yes put your hand down and let him sniff it".

She did so and then pet him but when she turned her head to speak to A the dog jumped up and got her neck and ear :scared:

Her ear is a bit shredded and she has a small puncture to the neck which kinda trails down as the dog has.

My mum is obv not going to report this, what i want to know is that can she go and get a tetanus without naming the dog, can she say it was a random dog in the street or something, and does she really need a tetanus??

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

sorry, but what happens if this dog bites a child? his owner should have had it muzzled in the house whilst your mum was round, if it is muzzled outside. I would report it.

3. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

If it was in the owners home the DDA does not apply, however, I would be very concerned about keeping a dog like this tbh. That may seem harsh, but it appears completely unprovoked and a ticking timebomb like this is very risky muzzle or no muzzle. What is the owner doing about it apart from muzzling when out.

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I'm sorry about your mum and understand that she doesn't want to report it, but I'm afraid I'd feel duty bound to report it for the sake of others

5. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Im not gonna name the owner, i know her in passing as she doesnt allow her dog anywhere near mine when im passing to my mums as he is dog aggressive (they live round the corner),
    but "A" and her partner can't have kids and the dog is her baby. Apparently the dog got a good kicking from A's OH for it which my mum stepped in to stop and the dog didnt do anything

Should i make her go for a tetanus tho?

Does she really have to report it?? A would be devasated to lose her boy :(

6. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

The wounds will need to be cleaned very throughly as dog bites are full of nasty stuff!

I'm sure she could present at a local A+E dept without having to give details of the dog - they would still treat her, and could give her a tetanus.

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I would go to A+E even just say it was a dog on the street and you don't know who it was. Dog bites can be very nasty things

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

They can't force her to give details of the dog.
    I would just go get it checked out and if they ask, just tell them it was a silly mistake, they don't need to know.

9. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Just tell them that you were sitting down on a park bench and you bent over to pick your bag up and this dog was walking past at the same time you were bent down it went for you. I would get it checked over and yes they can give you a tetnus if you explaine something on the line of as I have put above.
    I would seriously tell you mums mate to get that dog muzzled in the house when people come over and in the garden if there is easy access to the dog. That could of been a young child's face and it would of been worse for the child, taking an eye out or ripping its ear off. Sorry to he harsh be she needs to be very carefull.xx

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Wiser not to lie.... if that had really happened in a park then the police could be called as it would come under the DDA, your mum made to give a full statement and someone's else's poor dog could get the blame. Just what the anti-dog All-dogs-muzzled-and-on-leads-at-all-times people want to hear! :(

11. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

A's OH gave it a good kicking, that was very helpful. Makes me wonder if he does this anyway. Not got an opinion hun to be honest but like the others say, who will it be next time. Must be an angry dog.

I can't understand what a dog would understand from getting a good kicking. Your mum must have been traumatised throughout x

12. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

thanks for the help guys, i'm going to drag her to A+E tomorrow,

i'll need to think of something to tell them tho :(

THe dog is not allowed near kids or other dogs and this is the first time they've had a problem in the house. If it was my dog id be on the phone to the vet, but ive asked her to come to my mums tomorrow to speak to her - hopefully i can frighten her enough to keep the dog away from people unless muzzled x

13. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

As much as I do understand your mum not wanting to report it and the reasons why, I'm afraid that I would.

The owner should aslo think about the children she doesn't have, and then those of other peoples that might come round and do the same. Only I think it would be much worse than it was for your mum. That dog could quite easily bite through a child's jugular and the child would likely of bled to death.

:( I agree on the advice about your mum going to A&E as well. Better to be safe and all that.

14. KateandCasper

KateandCasper PetForums Member

Our dog and Oh sisters dog had a fight and OH's dad got inbetween them and got bitten. He went to get a tetanus and they werent that interested in the details just that it was a dog bite - I dont think you need to make up a big story tbh.

15. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Why is'nt she reporting it. The dog obviously has'nt got out of its puppy habits but being and older dog is doing more damage!!

16. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Yes that is true enough ;)

17. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

the dog is the womans life, she cant have kids and he is her baby
    I think her OH kicked the dog as a reaction to what was happening tbh

Thankfully ive been well informed that as it was on private property DDA doesnt apply so i will be telling them the truth

18. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I had an abused shihstzu and he was so f***ed up that we had to make sure we did everything that he was happy with. God knows what a dog that size could do to someone if hes being abused!!! Dread to think.

19. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I would suggest that this may well be part of the problem - the way they treat this dog. On the one hand had a kicking, on the other treated as their 'baby'. It doesn't bode well for the future and tbh I would report it or at the very least try to get this woman to get a behaviourist in.

20. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

If the dog 'gets a good kicking' then is it any wonder he may have issues. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice