Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My mouse is pregnant.

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Fin3678, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Fin3678

Fin3678 PetForums Newbie

My mouse is pregnant and i have no idea what to do!! Have heard many diffrent ways and still confused on what to do set up wise and if i needbto remove ger wheels and play mate plus diet wise. I would take her to the vet and ask a vet but parrents refuse to take me. Please help getting desprete and babies could come any day now!!

2. madthelion

madthelion PetForums Newbie

Hey, sounds like you've got quite a difficult situation on your hands there. I'm not terribly familiar with mice myself, but I had a quick search, and found a useful-looking article called What to Do If Your Mouse Has Babies by Lianne McLeod, on thesprucepets (can't link sorry my account is too young).
    Hope everything goes alright with the mum and babies :D

Fin3678 likes this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB PetForums Member

Mice cope with pregnancy really well without you having to do much at all. Nesting material is something she will want, preferably a paper type as some of the wool type beddings can result in small strands getting wound round baby mice toes and cutting off circulation. You could add just a little extra protein (small amounts of mealworms, cooked chicken, walnuts) to her diet right at the end of her pregnancy and in the first week after the birth. Some people suggest removing the wheel from the cage but I don't really think it's necessary. You also need to think about the type of cage she's in - does it have bars that a tiny baby mouse could escape from? Babies won't leave the nest for a little while but when they do, you'll need to make sure the cage is secure enough for them.

Is she still with the male mouse? He will need his own cage now as he could get the female pregnant again very quickly which would not be good for her. You'll also need to separate any baby male mice when they reach four weeks old, before they can start getting any females pregnant. They won't be able to live with dad as male mice usually fight when they mature.

madthelion likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice