Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Mini Pinscher’s health problems

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nati, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Nati

Nati PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I am looking for advice, tips and recommendations about improving my dog’s health. He is Miniature Pinscher,male and is 12 years old.
    His health problems have been concerning me for a while now but was waiting to see some improvement from the drugs we are giving him, sadly no hope yet.
    His health problems go really deep so I’ll try to be short but descriptive as possible.
    He needed to go under surgery 2 years ago to deep clean his teeth. His teeth are now in perfect condition, however the vet that has been taking care of him since he was a puppy did something wrong. He ensured us that our dog will be able to go through the anesthesia and would recovery quickly as it was a very basic procedure, however I am till this day not certain on what went wrong but after the surgery my dog was just not the same. He was expected to recover in a 1-2 week time period. He would be always sleeping, still, wouldn’t move, had hard time walking or doing any physical activity. We took him to an urgent clinic and they told us that his liver wasn’t able to withstand the anesthesia and they had to put him on systems and pump vitamins in his body for about a week. After we went through this, he seemed back to life and normal. However, a huge concern for us was that he wasn’t barking at all anymore( and he used to bark at every dog on the street) Some time passed and he began to be more and more calm( which is kinda unusual for him) but we didn’t think much of it, given he was 10+ years old.
    After 2-3 months after the surgery and him being on systems he started kind of drifting away from us. He wouldn’t come to us, be excited to see us and whenever we would pet him the second i would let my hand down he would jump and go to his little bed( things he wouldn’t do at all before the surgery) after that he started getting seizures CONSTANTLY. Some days there would be 1 and others he would get 6. After he gets one he usually wouldn’t be able to contain himself and would piss on the floor right after. We took him to the vet ( not the one that did his surgery) and said he was most definitely epileptic and needed KBr in order to calm his seizers down. 1 year of intake and NO results. There would be a week worth of no seizures and then a week worth of frequent seizures. Not only that he has lost his sight, or more like reduced sight. Sometimes he wouldn’t be able to differentiate the door from the wall, he isn’t able to hear my voice when i call him or most sounds ( he just wouldn’t react to it) he became extremely distant to the point where he would just lay on his bed and wouldn’t come out to socialize AT ALL. We began giving him other drugs that have been handing the seizures pretty well, however it’s the fact how distant he has become that worries me. He wouldn’t respond to his name and kinda just wants not be bothered and alone all the time.
    Has anyone encountered the same or similar situation? What are things that you recommend I do, that don’t involve giving him additional drugs? Is there a way out of this state that he is in?

Let me know!
    All advice is appreciated!

Thank you!

2. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Perhaps you could post your problems in the Oldies support thread there maybe more posters there who are in similar positions to you:)

wee man likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice