Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My 'male' hamster has just had babies, HELP!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Jem29, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

I was told at the pet shop when I bought them 2 months ago that they were both boys. Well I just went to clean them out, and I noticed one was lying on its side, I was cleaning the cage out and found 4 babies wriggling around, it was a shock I can tell you, lol! 2 were in one corner, 1 in the other and the other hamster ran with one in its mouth into the little iglo they have and ate half of it, leaving the other half wriggling:( I removed this poor baby as it had obviously died, stopped cleaning them out as I know you shouldn't, but I didn't know until half way through.

Now the mother is lying in the tube asleep, and the father is next to then, I just sexed them and one is deffinately male and one female;) The mother is lying there sleepy and not doing anything, the babies are in the main area of the cage/tank wriggling around in the bedding.

I am worried that the mother isn't doing too well, is it normal to rest straight away and not go to her litter? I know it's tiring giving birth, I did it 3 times, lol! If she perks up soon, is she likely to see to her babies?

ANy other advice? do i need to do anything?

2. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

There are plenty of people more expert than me...but all I know iss you shouldn't touch them...or mum...or anything in the cage.

Check that you can keep dad in there too...I know some rodents dad can't stay!

Mum will be exhausted yes! Keep an eye on her. Make sure she has plenty of water, food, high protein food, milky bread...etc.

Congrats on the new borns though!! xx

3. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Thank you.

So far 2 have been eaten, not a nice thing to see:(

4. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I'd take the male out to be honest, and pop him into a different cage.

5. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

are they syrians? if so they should never be kept together !

6. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

What breed of hamsters are these?

7. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

You need to remove the male immedietly you might be lucky and he hasnt mated with the female straight away but unfortunately there is a high chance he has. The female may attack the male if he goes near the babies or she may eat the babies for the same reason. You need to remove the male then make sure she has enough food and water and leave her completely alone to get used to the idea of being a mum. If the babies make it (dont blame yourself if not its just nature) then when they are fully furred and their eyes are open you can start to take a more active role with them but until then you should just be the provider of food and water and that should be done as quietly as possible, dont even attempt to hold mum. If you are stuck for a cage dad could maybe be kept in the bath overnight till you can get a spare cage, what part of the country are you in?

8. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

They are roborovskis.

Should I remove the male because he may be eating them or preventing her from bonding with her babies? I have kept an eye on them, so far not noticed any mating going on, but I could be wrong and missed it.

9. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Ps I am in Chester.

10. thedogsmother

He might eat them, he will mate with mum and it might stop her relaxing enough to bond with the babies. Unfortunately how you have found them isnt ideal and with you disturbing the female (not your fault) she might not take them back. Has she made a nest at all? Which pet shop did you get them from because if its Pets @ Home they will usually provide you with a cage for daddy hamster as it was their fault, you would need to go in and complain though.

11. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Thank you for your help.

A 3rd one has been eaten, I just found the mum in the top corner snuggled up with the other baby and the dad was the other side of the cage. I am going to leave them to it, see what happens, as you say unfotunatly she has rejected them due to how I found them:(

It was pets at home, I was told both were boys, it is rather annoying.

12. thedogsmother

Is there just the one baby left? sometimes with first litters they find large numbers too much to deal with, if the adults stay together they will mate but I can understand you not wanting to remove dad in case mum eats the remaining baby, maybe when she is distracted you can get him out.

13. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

It will be extremely unfair on your hamsters if you do not remove the male... Not only will the mother feel threatened he will mate with her after she has given birth and she will be pregnant again before her body has had chance to settle....

IMO this is very cruel as you are also risking the life of the last baby.. to think humans are told to wait 6 weeks before intercourse after giving birth.

14. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

THIS!

It would be very irresponsible of you to leave the male in there. Even if she does kill the last baby. To leave him in and then have them mate again (which they will) is just cruel :(

15. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

We removed the male last night.

I would never intentionally hurt or be ' cruel' towards any animal, this was all just a shock and we had no idea what we were doing!

16. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

how is the remaining baby? Xx

17. thedogsmother

I dont think anyone was trying to suggest you were deliberately being cruel hun, I just think they were trying to impress on you just how important it was to remove the maleand how bad it would be for the female if she became pregnant straight away. Glad youve managed to do it now though. Have you heard any little squeaks coming from mums cage, for the first two weeks that was the only way I knew Spike still had babies, I never really got to see them when they were tiny:(. It is a huge shock, I know when my mice had their first litter I thought I had a little colony of all girls and I was pretty shocked to say the least, there was a lot of swearing and panicking going on:eek:.

18. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Thank you for your replies.

The remaining baby isn't alive this afternoon, the mother must have neglected it:( I thought it was ok this morning, I thought I heard it squeeking.

I feel so sad that all 4 have died:(:(

19. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Am so sorry you lost the babies!! What are you doing with mum and dad? Might be worth trying to introduce them to same sex partners...if they are still young. That may be a reason for them neglecting the babies by the way. So sorry for your loss. xx

20. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

I separated them last night, so now in their own cages on their own. They seem quite lonely but I know keeping them together would result in further litters.

Thank you xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice