Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my little puppy poppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dee41, Jan 18, 2012.

1. dee41

dee41 PetForums Newbie

got up this morning my new lilttle puppy princess poppy is pooping black tar like stools so we off to the vets in a bit so scared though hope she going to be ok been reading it could be bleeding in the abdomen has anyone else had this before?

2. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Is your puppy okay in herself?

3. dee41

dee41 PetForums Newbie

yes she jumping about all over and still wanting her food but vet has told me not to feed her now

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Glad you have been to the vet; sounds daft of me to ask, but you haven't fed any offal or really bloody meat or anything like that have you?

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If she has only just started and only done one or two black stools then there
    could possibly be a chance that she has eaten something. It is true though that black tarry stools can be a sign of bleeding further up the digestive tract or some form of bleeding.

He has told you not to feed her probably as they may well need to give her a general anaesthetic to xray and/or scan to look if they can see anything.
    He will give her an exam too and probably blood tests.

If she is bright and alert and wanting to play and has loads of energy at the moment, and wants to eat and drink, dont start immediately panicking. Obviously if this changes and changes quickly then you need to get her to the vets straight away even before you appointments due. Just keep a check on her gum colouring too, if they are nice and healthily pink and not pale and
    especially not white, thats a good sign too usually.

Hope she is OK, keep us posted how shes doing.

6. dee41

dee41 PetForums Newbie

not been to the vet yet go at 6.p.m this evening no been feeding her pedigree chum puppy food

7. Sled dog hotel

No not daft thats why I mentioned something she may have eaten too, Iron rich food and offal can often make stools appear black as well as other things.

I know someone who panicked once thinking there were passing blood and they had eaten beetroot.

I would say though OP, Black Tarry looking stools its always wise to check them out. Aktough if the pup has eaten anything different make sure you mention it to the vet. Also could she have swallowed or eaten anything sharp or things that she shouldnt.

8. dee41

dee41 PetForums Newbie

i have been watching her like an hawk im off work for 2 weeks so been with her all the time dont think she eaten anything she should not but you never know,im worried as well because she has only had her first injection next one not due till 27th i am probably just panicking only had my dogs a few weeks so it abit scary.

9. Sled dog hotel

Have you mentioned about only the one injection because you are worried about infection while she is in the vets? If so make sure you dont put her on the floor or let other dogs sniff and have contact. If you are really worried you could perhaps wait outside or sit in the car and ask them to call you, or if two of you are going one wait in the car with her and one wait in the surgery. Thats what I did with mine before they were vaccinated.

If you are worried because she has caught something as not been fully vaccinated yet, then for all the things they are protected for in the vaccs, I would expect her to be off colour tbh. Even Parvo you usually see lethargy, uninterested in theiir surroundings or play, and generally "depressed" looking maybe lack of appetite even before the diarrhoea and vomitting occurs, and a lot of the viruses are the same, you see signs and then symptoms. Or there is usually something that warns you. If she seems OK dont immediate panic.
    I know its hard though when its your first dog or pup, when I first had dogs I lived at the vets.:D

10. dee41

dee41 PetForums Newbie

thankyou for your advice they do know and i will wait in the car will keep you informed x

11. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

Hope Poppy gets on alright at the vets tonight.

Val xx

12. dee41

dee41 PetForums Newbie

hi everyone the said said they not sure if it is internal bleeding and they not ruling parvo out but poppy been great in herself is on 3 lots of antibiotics and im having to syringe feed her because she is also dehydrated and the pooping has ceased a little so its looking good, she back at the vets tomorrow but hopefully she is going to be ok she is a tough cookie:001_smile:so will keep you all informed x

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Poor little Poppy. Hope she keeps improving.

14. Sled dog hotel

Glad you got her there ok, hope she continues to improve and the check up tomorrow is good news. Please keep us informed how you are doing.

15. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

good luck poppy hope she keeps getting better and better, i know how you must feel but its good her spirits are high.

get well soon!!

16. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Hope little Poppy continues to improve x.

17. dee41

dee41 PetForums Newbie

hi everyone poppy doing great everything seems to be back to normal i really love my vet:) so now gonna enjoy my little girl and watch her grow and everyones comments really helped so glad i joined x

18. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I'm happy to read a positive final update

19. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

20. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Just caught up with this thread now. So glad Poppy is better. Feel free to share some photos when you can ... we love puppies !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice