Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my little opal butterfly

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by frags, Jul 28, 2009.

1. frags

frags PetForums VIP

since the fox tried to get them he has been nipping!!!
    i presume the fox scared him that much that he gets scared now, im doing the eeeek noise when he nips but this seems to scare him more and he comes back to bite again, i try the blowing at him and this kinda stops him but he looked pissed of at this.
    any advice? i dont want to find him a home if he is biting and they just ignore him and leave him in a hutch cos he nips.

2. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

Havnt had a biter for ages. lol

last one i had i just kind of forced myself on it, getting it out for 5-10 mins, putting it back for a break then out again, little and often is the way to go, If it does bite, dont put it down as this will reinforce the biting.

how old are they now?? if you can hand feed them this will help it get used to hands again, never bite the hand that feeds, lol. also stroking when its eating reinforces that hands=good things.

if all else fails iv been wanting a house bun. and i like a challenge :D

3. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

awww hes such a beauty, put something nasty tasting on ur hands?

4. frags

frags PetForums VIP

he is 10 weeks old nearly 11 but its only since the fox incident that he has been biting. dont hurt but if he keeps it up it will when he's bigger lol

il try the feeding from hand bit

5. frags

frags PetForums VIP

right i have no idea whats going on with him but he gets worse with everytime i go out to him!!
    he is lunging at me and when i put him back he started biting his brother!! he is only 11 weeks old has been handled nearly everyday from birth so i know its nothing to do with handling.
    any ideas?

6. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

dont want to worry you but maybe a vet check is in order.

im a dog behaviourist and before i will analyse any behaviour problem, particually aggression i always insist on a vet check to rule out medical problems. having said that it could just be that hes really more scared then you thought, is there any kind of pheromone like DAP that can be used on rabbits, or a sedative?? could try some bachs flower remedy.

7. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i have spoken to my vetenary nurse friend and she has said it sounds like hormones setting in early but to let him be checked out just in case.

8. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

every single baby rabbit I have met goes through a moody stage a few weeks after u get them, I blame the hormones, just put him in his place frags

9. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Maybe when he loses his manhood he'll calm down a lot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice