Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My kitten won't poop!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by AmyC, Apr 19, 2011.

1. AmyC

AmyC PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone

On Saturday I became the very proud owner of a very beautiful kitten named Darcy. She is 7 weeks old.

She seems to have settled into her new home very well and is a very playful and loving little kitten. She eats well and has had a few weewee's in places that she shouldn't which we are working on BUT, she's not yet done a poop!

This doesn't seem right to me and is starting to cause me some concerns. She has a litter tray that she can easily get in and out of and it is situated in a quiet place away from her food. It has shredded paper in, not proper litter.

Can anyone help me please? Is this normal? Do I just need to bear with it or try something else?

Thank you x

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Firstly you shoudnt have her at 7 weeks, it is ridiculously too young. The recommended age is 12 weeks, 8 is bare minimum. 7 is just wrong.

Anyway, you have her now and her not toiletting is a big issue. Is she eating ok? What is she eating?

3. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

if you are concerned i would take her to the vet as she is still very young. might be an idea to get her checked over anyway. what is she being fed on? does her tummy feel hard?

4. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Hello and welcome to PF :)

This advice may not be what you want to hear, but you really do need to take your kitten to the vet ASAP. A kitten of 7 weeks is too young to be away from its mother and siblings, so it's not surprising she is peeing in inappropriate places either. But, the fact that she's eating fine, but not opening her bowels would ring alarm bells for me. Please do not just 'bear with it', take her along to the vet.

Is there any particular reason that you're not using cat litter? Did the 'breeder' use shredded paper?

5. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Please call your vet this evening for advice, with a view to taking your kitten in tonight for a check over to make sure it's nothing serious ... which I hope for your kittens sake it isn't :(

Your kitten is far too young to be away from it's mother :(

6. gloworm*mushroom

User has gone offline, I hope to the vets....

7. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

They went offline pretty soon after posting, so I don't think they'd have seen the replies.

8. gloworm*mushroom

My stalker skills saw them in general chat, at least after my post, so hopefully they havent just signed off without reading.

Do people really do that, make a post about their concerns and leave? Seems counter productive...

9. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

GMTA ^^^^. I saw the same thing myself.

And your question about making a post and leave. Sadly, it happens all the time. I hope in this instance the OP has gone to the vet, or at least rang the vet.

10. AmyC

AmyC PetForums Newbie

Thank you all very much for your replies. I did log off but expected to receive email notifications when I received a response. Clearly that didnt happen.

I did have a feeling that she was too young but the breeder said that she was ready to leave as she had started to feed on her own which I assumed to be a sure sign she was ready. I will most definitely be ringing the vets asap.

She is eating Felix kitten food and drinking kitten milk. She eats fine, about a sachet a day and her tummy doesn't feel hard. She will go to her tray to wee, misses occasionally, but there is still no sign of a poop yet.

The breeder used shredded paper and actually gave us the litter tray so I assumed that she must have been using it there.

Again, thank you very much for you help. I love her to bits and really want to do the best by her which is why I joined here for some help. She will be going to the vets tonight and I will keep you posted.

Thank you x

11. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Congratulations on your new baby :)

Hopefully a trip to the vet will put your mind at rest x

12. AmyC

AmyC PetForums Newbie

According to the vet she is simply not ready yet! No signs of constipation as her tummy felt fine and her eating habits were good.

She did suggest buying another litter tray and using some litter instead of shredded paper in case she doesn't like her current tray. Having two just gives her that choice and will help her decide what she likes when she is ready.

Thanks again to those who have provided the positive and helpful comments. I'll just have to keep a close eye on her and I'm sure the fun will begin when she does start to go!

13. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Good luck :)

Am sure she will be pooping for England before you know it! :)

14. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Amy on reading you previous post I think it's become obvious why she's not pooped yet ... she's not eating much :( 1 sachet of Felix is really not enough, I'd be expecting a kitten of her age to ideally be eating about 4+ times more than that.

Are you providing her with food all day if she wants it? Kittens really should be fed as much as they want :) Also kitten milk is supposed to be an occasional treat ... and to be honest I rarely (maybe once a year if that) give it to my girls as they can get so much more from decent food :)

I'm sure if she eats more the pooping will commence :scared:

15. gloworm*mushroom

1 sachet? My kittens were eating the equiv of at least 4, theyd probably eat ten if I let them!

16. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Glad to read you took your kitten to the vet and that she's not constipated. But, I agree with other members, it sounds like you're not feeding her enough. Pouches on average contain 100g of food. That's around a quarter of a kitten's daily wet food requirement. Isn't your kitten pestering you for food all day? Is Felix the food the breeder fed her on? And did the breeder only give her one pouch per day?

How heavy is your kitten?

17. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Hi AmyC,
    Some great advice from members above.....
    I am a great respect for vets, but sometimes in matters of general 'house-keeping' as it were, then they can be somewhat remiss! So for matters of what and how much to feed a kitten I think you have been pointed in the right direction here.
    Just one other suggestion.....you could try stimulating her to open her bowels by gently wiping her bottom with a warm damp wash cloth just after she has eaten. I know this is what the mum cat would do, and although it may be something more often used with younger orphaned kittens, it could well help your situation.

18. gobubbles

gobubbles PetForums Junior

Just wanted to reassure Amy regarding food quantities. My Buffy would only eat approx one pouch a day at first, certainly until I swapped Felix for Grau at least. Now I have to be careful that she doesn't eat too much Grau! :)

19. AmyC

AmyC PetForums Newbie

We have poop!!!

Yesterday she started and she's done more today so I'd like to think that things are ok. AND, today's was in the litter tray (with the shredded paper) so that's even better!

With regards to the food she's always got plenty available to her but I think she only likes to eat when we're with her so, with her only being really young, we're taking her to her food every few hours just to make sure she's eating. We then put her in her litter tray straight away and that seems to have helped.

It's like having a baby! I think I'm a worrier when it comes to her but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. The advice on here has been so helpful, thank you!x

20. AmyC

AmyC PetForums Newbie

Hi Dougal and thank you for your comment.

Yes, her breeder said one sachet a day which is what we stuck too. She was being fed ASDA own brand but we got her Felix simply because we think it is better! She is eating more now. She doesn't pester for food at all but taking her to her bowl and staying with her is definitely helping. She has a few mouthfulls of food and then sips her water. That is usually what happens every few hours or so.

She is pooping now so I'm so relieved! As for her weight, I havent weighed her. Should I do this?

Thank you again for your comment :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice