Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My kitten seems to prefer dry food over Animonda Carny

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by jrhr410, Jul 27, 2020.

1. jrhr410

jrhr410 PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance for the length; I wanted to be thorough, but I tried to keep it as short as possible... didn't do well it seems!

I’ve been lucky enough to bring a kitten into my life for the first time; her name is Zoya and she’s almost 6 months old now. As an overly enthusiastic new kitty mother, I did a ton of research on the best types of food and schedules to keep her in the best health. We decided on the following:

Feeding Details
    • 3x/day wet food: Animonda Carny for kittens (400g tins).
      • After every tin is finished, we change flavors of Carny (between the 4 available)​
      • Every 3 weeks or so, we introduce a random brand gradually (about a teaspoon to start) alongside the Carny so she gets used to different ingredients, textures, etc ​
    • 1x/day dry food: Animonda kitten dry feed
      • I’ve understood dry isn’t ideal... but we chose this: ​
        • So she could eat more frequently, even while we’re away at work (we heard various small meals throughout the day is healthier than 1-2 big meals),
        • To give her variety,
        • To help her teeth in the future.
    • Each meal is served about 4-5 hours apart, from 8am to 10pm
    The Problem

In the beginning, she was only given wet food. She was never quick to eat it; in fact, she would commonly only eat a few bites, leave, and then continue eating hours later. Mostly, she would finish the food, but occasionally she would leave a tablespoon or so overnight that we’d throw away in the morning.

Once we introduced the dry food, though, she would eat all of it nearly immediately. I feel like the problem is getting worse... she barely touches the wet food and seems really excited any time she knows we’re about to give her dry food.

She always finishes the dry food; now more and more, she leaves quite a few tablespoons of the wet food that we end up throwing away. She often only begins eating a serving of wet food 3 hours or so after we’ve given it to her, without taking a single bite before that.

Our Attempts at Problem-Solving

At first, we thought she might be bored of the food... but we change the flavor of the Carny after every can is finished and occasionally add in other random brands a teaspoon at a time (not mixed, to the side) to see how she’ll react to it; we do it also to give her variety in hopes she doesn’t become picky. She treats the new food about the same as the Carny.

Then we thought it might be because of the temperature of the food. I had been giving it to her refrigerated since we first got her and she didn’t seem to mind. When she started not eating it as much and I researched that cats might not like cold food, I decided to zap it in the microwave for 7 seconds or so (as I had seen recommended in these forums). She treated it the same. Even when the can is freshly opened and room temperature she treats it the same.

It's also weird because she seems to prefer the food “old.” For example, I can give her a normal serving of wet food at 8am, then when it comes time for her next meal at 1pm, she still has from 1/3 - ½ of the food still sitting there. I push that food to the side and add a new serving to the other side of the bowl. She doesn’t come immediately, but maybe after an hour or so when she does come, she eats the old food instead of the new. Every time.

I don’t like that she seems to be eating food that has been sitting out, especially now that it is summer and raw meat shouldn’t really be sitting out like that.

Conclusion – Any Suggestions?

Has anyone had a similar issue with their kitten? I’m so worried that she’s starving and just waiting around for the dry, but I also want to make sure that she’s eating healthy food. Or since she’s a kitten should I just give her more dry food to make sure she’s eating enough, then try to switch her back when she’s older?

We just weighed her and she’s about 2.9 kilos, so she seems to be about normal for her age (she'll be 6 months old on August 10). Last we had weighed her she was about 2.2 kilos (a month or so ago), so on top of the issues above we just realized we were also feeding her too little based on her weight and age... So starting tonight I will begin giving her even more food which I’m afraid will just go to waste (except for the dry, of course).

Any ideas to get her to eat more of the wet food? Should I be worried? Thanks very much for your time – I really appreciate it.

Milka likes this.
  2. kajag

kajag PetForums Junior

A lot of cats do not really like Animonda Carny since all varieties are based on beef. I would advise against feeding more dry - quite the contrary. If this continues your kitty will easily become the "kibble junkie".

Cats like variety and they can have quite an acquired taste, so if I were you, I would try different brands of quality wet cat food.
    Catz Finefood Purr Kangaroo is one of those most cats cannot resist. It is suitable for kittens even though it is not branded as such. Rosie’s Farm is also quite acceptable with cats.

jrhr410 and Milka like this.
  3. Dr.A

Dr.A PetForums Member

Both my kittens hates Canary, but happily eat other Animonda foods in addition to other good brands that I’ve been recommended on the forum.

jrhr410 likes this.
  4. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Dr.A I'm so glad both your kittens hate canary!:Hilarious

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Just eliminate the kibble all together. It's not good for her, high carb dehydrating junk food. Kibble is sprayed with things like "animal digest" and fats (that go rancid quickly) to encourage cats to eat it and become "addicted" to it. It's just bad news all around.

Feed your kitten a rotation of good quality wet foods as you are doing and just throw the kibble away.

jrhr410, Milka and chillminx like this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with lorilu, the dry food is spoiling your kitten's appetite for her wet food. Cats and kittens can become obsessed with dry food because of the strong flavourings it is sprayed with after production. Dry food is very high in carbs and fats (so therefore high in calories) and the ingredients are not always the best quality.

I would transfer her to other good wet foods and gradually wean her off the dry food. To leave food for her while you are out a timed autofeeder is useful. And if she wants to eat a little wet food at a time and then come back later, a battery operated sealed pet bowl is useful for keeping the food fresh.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sure-Petcare-SPBWT-SureFeed-Sealed/dp/B01C49GGC0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3HKJNW2ABVZMB&dchild=1&keywords=surefeed+sealed+pet+bowl&qid=1596026913&sprefix=surefeed+sealed+bowl+,aps,141&sr=8-1

[note: other places may be selling the Surefeed sealed bowl a bit cheaper if you shop around]

Timed autofeeder:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Mate-C...ds=cat+mate+auto+feeder&qid=1596026996&sr=8-6

Some good foods from Zooplus :

Rosie's Farm Kitten food,
    Feringa Kitten food
    Wild Freedom Kitten food
    Animonda Vom Feinsten Kitten food

A variety of rotated wet foods will ensure that she is getting all the nutrients she needs, as well as preventing food boredom. And it will give you foods you know she likes to fall back on, should one make suddenly be unavailable or taken off the market.

#6 chillminx, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    jrhr410 and Milka like this.
  7. jrhr410

jrhr410 PetForums Newbie

I didn't know that! I had heard so many good things about Carny. We just bought some cans of Leonardo, so fingers crossed she likes this better (although it's annoying I saw only one flavor for kittens) - I'll order some of your suggestions as well. Thanks very much for your help.

Another quick question regarding variety - from what I've heard, cats can get upset stomachs quite easily and it's supposedly important to gradually introduce new foods to them. If I was to switch up her food all the time, should I still introduce the new food a teaspoon or so at a time? Or with the regular changing of food her stomach would get used to it? Thanks again.

8. jrhr410

jrhr410 PetForums Newbie

Thanks very much for your help. I didn't realize that even the "high-quality" kibble was that bad occasionally. I'll pick up some other brands of wet food to try out. The main argument I had heard in favor of dry food was to keep the teeth healthy - do you find this to be unfounded? Or would you recommend using special treats for the teeth instead? Thanks again

9. jrhr410

jrhr410 PetForums Newbie

That's a very interesting point... I was so worried that she didn't seem to be eating enough that I guess I was making the problem worse by giving her more kibble. Thanks for all of your great suggestions on timed feeders - I had seen similar ones and had considered it, but then figured I shouldn't over-complicate the matter. I'll definitely reconsider.

Do you have any recommendations for rotating wet food? I had heard that it's important to gradually change out foods over the course of a week so as to not upset their stomachs, but of course if I'm constantly opening up new cans for her that's not very practical. If she gets used to variety then would the tummy upset no longer be an issue?

10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

It's a fallacy invented by pet food manufacturers. It would be like you eating pretzels or fritos to clean your teeth. The only diet that benefits dental health is a raw diet, and even that specifically chunks of meat and bone are better. Kibble is high in carbs and the crumbs turn to sugar in the mouth and stick to the teeth and gums. Absolutely no benefit to a cat's dental health.

jrhr410 likes this.
  11. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

We often use the kibble as treats, and hide them in puzzle toys and in kitchen roll tubes to give them something to do when we are out. That makes them a reward rather than as food. It’s then easier to eat the wet as their actual food. Mine hate Carny too.

‘I haven’t ever feed my kittens on wet kitten food they have the adult varieties as we feed high protein grain free food. We wean onto thrive chicken and poached chicken or cooked pork mice (with Felini complete). We later add in a variety of wet food but their favourites are Kattovit sensitive, my star and wild freedom as they aren’t a fan of the large chunks of heart in their food.

#11 lillytheunicorn, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    jrhr410 likes this.
  12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It is always best to introduce a new food slowly, a little at a time, over the course of several days, as that way it is less likely to cause an upset bowel. And if she likes the new food, not to introduce another new food for around 3 weeks.

Leonardo is a good food :)

Re: rotation - one of my cats has 7 different foods in his diet and loves the variety, but usually I would aim for 4 foods to rotate. I make these different meat proteins and also different makes if possible, as that ensures the cat is getting the most nutrients from his diet. Providing 'variety also prevents food boredom' and reduces a risk of food allergies developing.

With 4 foods I would feed a different food every day, so each food is only eaten once every 4 days.

jrhr410 and lorilu like this.
  13. jrhr410

jrhr410 PetForums Newbie

Ah interesting, so if we use the kibble occasionally as treats it shouldn't affect her appetite later for the wet food? Perhaps I'll try that.

So if we were to choose any of the brands of high-quality wet food (high protein, grain free) it shouldn't matter in theory whether it was "made for" kittens or adults? I didn't know that either, and I was super surprised how difficult it seemed to be to find kitten varieties (vs. regular).

14. jrhr410

jrhr410 PetForums Newbie

That is very helpful, thank you very much! :) She seems to be eating the Leonardo slightly better than Carny, but not by a ton... I'm hoping it's just because she's still getting used to it. I'll be heading back to the store soon to pick up a 3-4 other types of wet food to try out gradually as well to see if she reacts better to any of those. Fingers crossed...

15. jrhr410

jrhr410 PetForums Newbie

Update -

She's taken a little bit better to the Leonardo, but not by a lot unfortunately. She still doesn't seem to be eating the daily recommendations on the can, and leaves it for quite awhile to sit when I first serve it (whether it's fresh out of the can, cold, or heated up lightly in the microwave). She's been completely off of dry food since last Wednesday.

lorilu likes this.
  16. kajag

kajag PetForums Junior

This might be about food consistency. Animonda Carny as well as Leonardo cans tend to be quite dense.
    Try softer foods, like Lily's kitchen or Rosie’s Farm. Natures menu and Nuevo are great too. If you buy on Zooplus, Feringa might also be worth a try.

All of these have kitten varieties too.

lorilu and jrhr410 like this.
  17. jrhr410

jrhr410 PetForums Newbie

Wow, very good point. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely try that and keep an eye out for the consistency differences and how she reacts. I never would've thought this would be so complicated!

lorilu likes this.
  18. kajag

kajag PetForums Junior

You are welcome. These are all great foods and cats usually accept them well. But yeah, cats can get specific about a lot of things, so give it a try :)
    Mine for example would rarely eat food that was packed in a can, but would happily eat the same food (brand and flavor) that came in a pouch or tray.
    Go figure :rolleyes:

19. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The recipes of canned foods and pouches often differ very slightly even when they are the same brand and claimed to be the same flavour. Also the processing of canned and pouched foods differs, so that can alter the flavour and the scent too. Because cats are very discerning creatures the differences can be enough for them to see the foods as not being the same thing.

20. kajag

kajag PetForums Junior

I have heard about that, but was never sure if it is actually true. I just learned something new. Thank you!

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice