Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My kitten likes to play fetch

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by KittenEevee, Jul 12, 2017.

1. KittenEevee

KittenEevee Crazy Cat Lady

My 11 month old kitten loves to play fetch, last night I spent an hour just throwing her mouse toy and shed bring it back to me and wait for me to chuck it. She always puts it on my lap if she wants to play. Her mouse has a squeaker in it and its her favourite toy. She runs around with it in her mouth and bats it.

2. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Lith does that with Lucy lastic ( thick hair band ) If I ask her where Lucy is, she trots off & picks it up. I tend to play with it in bed as
    1) I can be lazy & read whilst playing
    2) it wears her out more as she has to jump on the bed with it :) I get more sleep after she is worn out!

3. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

I have an old school friend who has always had Siamese cats, a few of them used to love playing fetch!

KittenEevee likes this.
  4. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

It's surprising how many cats enjoy a good game of fetch. My very first Birman loved playing, and would bring me a little pompom to play with. She particularly liked it if I threw it so it ricocheted off a wall so there were changes of direction involved.

chillminx likes this.
  5. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Loulou loves chase the ball & fetch but only when it's a Cadbury's cream egg wrapper! :D So indulge her as much as any good slave should! :Angelic

crystalwitch, LeArthur and Gwen9244 like this.
  6. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Just completely off topic, but, I once had somebody who bought some pompoms & only wanted green ones as she said her cat only chased the green. Does anyone else have a cat so selective, or, was she 'mad as a box of frogs?'
    I can't say I have noticed any of mine ever having a colour preference!

ewelsh and moggie14 like this.
  7. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

Stitch likes playing fetch but only with those big hair elastics. The further you twang them the more he likes it :)

8. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Sam will play fetch (for a short period) with his spongy balls. Yellow and green are his favourite. Blue, he loses interest almost immediately! o_O

9. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Phoenix's mam played fetch, her breeder showed us when we went to view the litter, it was adorable.

Phoenix doesn't play fetch with us but she will drop small toys that bounce (she steals them from the kids' rooms) down the stairs then race them to the bottom

claire8234 likes this.
  10. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

one of my kittens used to do this with a ping pong ball, it was hilarious

simplysardonic likes this.
  11. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

My sister-in-law knitted some toy mice for my cats and i noticed that the yellow, orange and pink ones where favoured over the grey, navy and green ones.

12. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Interesting.... never noted colours before but I am on the ball now.

13. Franlow

Franlow Guest

And I just thought she was a little loopy :) I have never noticed colour preferences either, will keep a strong eye out. Argie has dropped every colour of pompom down the loo by now, perhaps he is colourblind :)

crystalwitch likes this.
  14. crystalwitch

crystalwitch PetForums Member

One of my little cats used to love to play fetch with a couple of her small mouse toys - she was almost eighteen when she went to the rainbow bridge last year, but even a month or two before that she was still fetching her mouse to be thrown. She was never interested in any of the other toys though, and if the others were playing with their ping pong balls, she was quite likely to go and sit on the ball. I adopted her at about six weeks and we thought she was a tabby but was told a couple of years later that she was probably part Bengal. Don't know if breed has anything to do with it though. She was very affectionate, and insisted on sleeping under the duvet, snuggled up to me - quite often with her toy mouse!

LeArthur and Paddypaws like this.
  15. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

@Franlow my Labrador will only play with pink or yellow balls! Any other colour gets dismissed!

So that's 2 of us as mad a box of frogs! :D

crystalwitch and Franlow like this.
  16. Karic

Karic PetForums Member

I've had cats for about 40 years and always have found it was the new kitten that played fetch. I have always had 2 or 3 cats at the same time, all different breeds and as soon as a new one comes along, the younger one who had previously played fetch stopped and the new one started. Every time, regardless of breed!! And the strangest thing is, is that the new kittens had never seen the older cats do it! Same with spiders - the new kitten takes over spider patrol and the older cat vacates the job!! Mysterious but true!

17. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

One of my cats played fetch pretty much all her life! :)

18. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Meeko was obviously an Afghan Hound in an early life,if I tried to play "fetch" with him I would be given the look that says it all.............
    You threw it,now go get it ;) :).
    As for colour preferences he,being a real butch boy much prefers pink,he has a much loved....."Pink Mousey" :D and his "Kitty Boinks" are much better if they are pink too ......he is an odd lad :)

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice