Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My kitten is dominating my older cat, please help!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by CatMama1956, Oct 18, 2019.

1. CatMama1956

CatMama1956 PetForums Newbie

Hello!
    I have a almost 14 month old female siamese cat. She is very loving, playful and quite attached to me and my mom. We recently decided to get a male siamese kitten because we wanted to cross our older cat and there wasnt any other possible option for us. A week ago i got a a month and a half old male siamese kitten ( he's very young i know but his owners wanted to get rid of him quickly) their first interaction went fine. there was a lot of growling an hissing but since yesterday they both can be in the same room without making any scary noises. the problem is that the kitten is acting dominant in my opinion. he eats my older cats food and also his own food ( i use royal canine siamese for the older one and royal canine kitten food for the kitten) he uses both his own litter box and her litter box as well. he also uses her cat bed to sleep in even though we got his own bed. my older cat doesnt say anything but its not fair to her obviously. she doesnt eat much neither does she sleep as much since the kitten uses her bed. she just looks at him from a corner and when she comes near him to sniff him he creates a deep rumbling sound and she backs away to a corner. how can i stop/ train him to use his own things? im worried that my older cat is feeling sad and rejected, which is not the case. she isnt as loving and playful as she was before the kitten came.

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    I‘m in a bit of doubt whether this post is serious, to be honest, but will answer properly as if it is- for just in case.

1. Please don’t breed your cats. Breeding takes a lot more than a male and a female cat put together. Both must be checked THOROUGHLY for health issues and ought to be part of a breeding program. If you breed them just so you are a typical backyard breeder putting more moggy kittens into an already overcrowded kitten world. Or are your two cats registered as pedigrees for breeding?

2. Cats need multiple beds each, they like to have a choice. They have no notion of my bed, your bed. They need a lot of sleeping options in open and sheltered spaces, high up and lower down...

3. Most cats prefer to use two litter boxes as they don't often like to poo and wee in the same tray. It usually is best to have x plus 1 litter box for x cats, that would mean three litter boxes for your two. Same as above: there is no notion of mine and yours

4. Royal canine is not a very good food and if there are two options a cat will choose what tastes best to them, regardless of what you intend for whom.

5. The deep rumbling noise is growling indicating that the male kitten is not yet comfortable in the females’ presence. In my eyes it is a stronger sign of fear and warning than a hiss. A hiss is a short telling off, growling shows real discomfort.

To recapitulate: You can’t teach a cat to use ’their own’ things. What’s there gets used by all the cats there. All you can do is provide a bigger choice. Concerning the food if you really find it necessary to provide two different ones because of an allergy or medication you can get microchip reading feeders. In your case you could simply feed the same food to both. Kitten food is not really necessary. But take care that you still offer two bowl preferably in different rooms anyway.
    Please have both cats neutered and don’t contribute to the mass of homeless cats.

#2 ChaosCat, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    chillminx and CatMama1956 like this.
  3. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

A month and a half old kitten? Is that correct? If it is the poor thing is lonely and scared not dominant,and is at an age when he needs company not his own things.

I do hope I have misunderstood.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice