Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my kitten hates my neighbours kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by littleblackcat, Jan 7, 2012.

1. littleblackcat

littleblackcat PetForums Member

hey all my neighbours recently got a kitten an we thought it wud be a great play mate for buffy every now and then but when ever they bring the kitten over and we try to introduce them buffy is a snarling at him and give him a paw to the face
    if i go to cuddle him she will sit there and stare fixed at him and if he goes anywhere around the flat she follows him and gives him more snarles
    she fixes her self on him and never lets him outa her site
    is there any way i cud get her to like him a little more as i thought a playmate would be good for her as shes on her own and shes very clingy to me so i thought it may make her a litttle more independant or a bit more like a cat cause i think she thinks shes a person haha

2. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

This other kitten is invading her territory.
    Buffy is protecting her space, and her human (you).
    I just read that she left her mum at 7 weeks. Thats really early (it should be about 12 weeks).
    She isnt going to want to share you, or her territory with another cat, especially one that appears now and again.

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Cats aren't like dogs and don't make friends. Every time this kitten comes to 'see' her she is feeling threatened and intimidated. This will always happen - cats don't have play dates. If you want her to have a friend then you need another kitten that lives with you. All the coming and going is very confusing for her. In fact, she growls and protects her territory and then the other cat goes away for a while - so she knows she has won and protected you valiantly. Then it comes back! Well, last time she managed to frighten it off - so she does it again. It's never going to get any better. I would stop the other cat coming over as it will only stress your cat.

4. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

This is never going to work. If you want a companion for her get another kitten (preferably a rescue one who has had vaccinations etc) and do proper introduction gradually. That's really the best option.

As she left her mum far too early she probably has no social skills.

5. littleblackcat

ill mke sure they dont bring him over again ive never seen her so funny like that she doesnt mind my dog at all when she comes over she doesnt live with mer as my flat is no dogs so she isnt here every day just every now an then an they play together and cuddle up. she never snarls at her or nothing like the other cat its quite odd
    maybe she doesnt want to share her mummy with him by the sounds but she doesnt mind me pooch but why is the other cat such a threat and my dog not

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Because a cat is a cat and a dog is a dog.

7. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

It would be better if the 2 kittens could play outside together in a garden, rather than being forced to share space inside the house. Do you or your neighbour have outdoor space where they could play if they chose?

8. littleblackcat

we have a garden but i cant let buffy out as its not fenced. I think if she doesnt mind my dog then ill just keep her playmate to my dog and leave the cat idea alone cause i dont want to get another cat I dont want the bond ive got with buff 2 be broken if i get another cat. I can remember what it was like when i had 2 female dogs together with the jealousy ect so i dont want anything like that with buffy. I think then if she doesnt like the other cat i wont force it on her anymore she might end up hating me for it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice