Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My kitten has decided his water fountains need destroying

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Helen Urie, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Helen Urie

Helen Urie PetForums Member

Hi, I have two Dadypet water fountains. I've had the kittens for 4 months and the water fountains the same amount of time.

Until tonight all has been good. However, my male kitten has decided they need destroying. He's managed to pull the top off both. Taken a walk in them and completely emptied them. It's really funny but my floor is soaking and his sister can't drink out of them while he's behaving like a maniac.

I've pulled the plug and left a bowl of water out, which he has also shoved his paw in.

Any tips?

They are both 7 and a half months and spayed and neutered.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

An obsession to play in water isn't that uncommon in cats, some do it all their lives.You can use heavy square glass baking pans for water to keep them from being tipped over. They can be set in wide shallow plastic trays to contain spillage.

But it's possible he's a bit bored. How much interactive play time does he get? What kind of enrichment (things to climb, jump on and off, forts) do you have in the house for them? What's their diet?

Calvine likes this.
  3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I have three water fountains and my blind cat does a tour, and pulls them all with his paw away from the wall so the flex is as extended as it can be and sloshes water everywhere so I stand them on a shallow tray. He has always done it. As @lorilu says, I think it's down to boredom. All I could do to stop it would be to wedge them in place with something heavy. I had one cat who would walk up to a fountain, turn round and pee in it as tho' it were a lavatory.

chillminx and lorilu like this.
  4. Helen Urie

Ha. So i don't think it's boredom. I live in a cat palace. They have 2 tunnels, 2 cat trees, an outdoor safe garden with a cat tree and tunnel, radiator beds, two diet coke boxes (which are the best toys ever apparently), etc. I play them with wand toys, laser pointers and throw spring things around for them. I do this at least 3 times a day.

Food wise, the boy has a sensitive tummy so they are on wet Royal Canin gastro but I'm slowing introducing chicken thrive and James wellbeloved turkey

Will buy something to wedge the dishes in place. Thanks !

Calvine and lorilu like this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Happy to know dehydration isn't the issue, since they are on a wet diet. :) And sounds like they get plenty of mental and physical stimulation.

It's just his thing, then. My little Ootay Princess (Angel) loved to play in the water bowls. She paddled her paws in them splashing the water every where. When Mazy cat was a young thing she used to pull the water bowl out of position so I was forever tripping over it. She stopped doing that years ago though, I'd forgotten al about it until just now.

chillminx likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

:Hilarious I'd love to have seen him do this! Hilarious! :Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious

Calvine likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Calvine likes this.
  8. Helen Urie

You know what I've just done? Taken him for a 10 min outdoor harness walk. Zero training, slapped on the harness and he was good to go. He's now sound asleep and calm. So maybe he wanted to see beyond the garden?

9. Helen Urie

Calvine and chillminx like this.
  10. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Sometimes he straddled it and other times just took careful aim. But he never ever missed!

chillminx likes this.
  11. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@chillminx:
    • Swim mode: Fast > mid > low
    I love that you can control the speed! I am going to try this! :Cat

chillminx likes this.
  12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Yes, forget the cat beds, seven of which are abandoned and unloved here (why do I keep buying them?). A Zooplus box is great, as is an Amazon box. My hall looks like a recycling centre.

chillminx likes this.
  13. Helen Urie

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice