Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my kitten died after vaccination

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kattiescontact, Aug 9, 2009.

1. kattiescontact

kattiescontact PetForums Newbie

Yesterday I took my cat to the vet to vaccinate him. After that, he was dozy and sleepy all day, but ate fine, even played a little.. In the evening he lay down suddenly and couldn't catch his breath, like he was wheezing, and blood started coming out of his mouth. Soon there was more and more blood oozing out, also from his ears, and my beloved kitten died.
    I can't see any reason for that to happen other than vaccination - before that, he was in a perfect condition and there was nothing unusual on that day; he couldn't poison himself, as he is kept indoors and also because it was a Saturday and a day off work for us, we cuddled him all day long and kept a watchful eye over him.
    It was a standard 9 weeks vaccination - does anyone have any similar experiences with a cat feeling unwell after vaccination?

2. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

O M G!!!! im soooo sory to hear that it sounds awfull my kittens not had her vaccinations as she is indoors and nw i dnt thnk i will ever get them done!! really sorry for whats happend xx

3. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

So sorry about your little cat.:( must have been horrible..

Did you call your vet and ask this question??

4. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

It is known that both cats & dogs can have reactions to vaccinations. I can only imagine what a horrific experience you have been through with your beloved kitten - my thoughts are with you xx :(

5. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear about your poor kitten. Did you ring your vets when the symptons started - what did they say?

6. kattiescontact

I have done some research over the Internet about it now, and it seems to many cats actually suffer minor/bigger problems after vaccinations, including blood vomiting. Some people say it can cause also severe reactions, considering what's in it. I don' know which type of vaccinations are good and what should or shouldn't they have, I have no medical training, I simply put my trust in the vet.
    I wasn't even told about possible severity of the reaction.
    What I could say today, I guess, if you have a cat indoors THINK closely about vaccinating him.
    Maybe someone knows about an alternative or something?
    I might have a cat in the future, far way future, and I would NEVER want to repeat that mistake!

7. kattiescontact

In the night I tried to call someone - starting from accident RSPCA helpline. They don't help people who are not on benefit, even if it's an emergency and I'm willing to pay. I couldn't reach any of the suggested by RSPCA local veterinaries, they simply didn't answer. Besides, everything happened very quickly, maybe fortunately for my cat..
    I just can't stand the look in his eyes, even when he started bleeding so severely, he trusted me so much..

8. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about your kitten, its shocking and tragic ..... I am surprised the vet didnt say anything, thats the problem these days they dont inform us of anything. R.I.P Little one.

9. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

What a terrible thing to witness. The breeder we got one of our cats from lost a cat following vaccination and now doesn't vaccinate against Clamydia. Being involved in administering vaccinations to humans i am only to aware of the dangers however was amazed at the lack of information volunteered by our vet and the presumption we'd want Clamydia included in our neutered housecats yearly booster. Luckily we asked. I'm really sorry for your loss.

10. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

OMG i am soo sorry to hear about your kitten

11. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

do cats get clamydia???

12. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

Yes. Its more prevelant in cat colony's especially in kittens and symptoms similar to cat flu. Apparently some recent UK study revealed 30% of eye swabs in cats were positive for the clamydia bug.

13. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat. :( You need to advise the vet that vaccinated your cat and tell him what happened. If he suspects it could be to do with the vaccine, he will need to advise the vaccine manufacturer. It doesnt help you or your cat now I know, but it might help others in the future. Do you know what diseases he was actually vaccinated against?

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I am SO sorry to hear this :(

15. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Yes my 2 Tabby Boys are carriers unfortunately we didn't know until my girls started getting conjunctivitis :( the vet said they will have this problem in spurts for the rest of their lives :( x

16. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

So So sorry to here this :( poor little one Hugs to you xxx

17. kattiescontact

I will find out exactly tomorrow which vaccination he had, when I call Zasman vet (it's in Crouch End).

18. Indie

Indie PetForums VIP

Poor little thing i am so so sorry xx

19. KarenHSmith

KarenHSmith PetForums VIP

I am so terribly sorry, to read this sad news. I know some animals can get some symptons of diarrhea and sickness, but never leading to death.

I would ring up your vets & enquire them if I were you.

xxx

20. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry to hear about your kitten. Lots of hugs x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice