Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Jessie gave birth last night now what do i need to do?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Jessies mummy, May 21, 2013.

1. Jessies mummy

Jessies mummy PetForums Newbie

Hello Ladies/Gents,
    |Im very new to this forum and this is my first post so please bear with me :). My Gorgeous girl Jessie, gave birth to 5 beautiful kittens last night and now im not sure what I should be doing and would like some advice please. It is her first and only litter (she was a housecat and escaped one night) so far shes been fantastic, she had them really quickly, at one point she was busy cleaning one that had just been born and another was coming out feet first so poor girl was quite shocked but she coped beautifully. We paid for an ultrasound as 3 weeks ago the vet couldn't tell if she was expecting or not and were told definitely 3 but she had 5!!

This morning mummy and babies are doing great, shes purring her little head off and all kittens are warm and being fed. She came out of her nest ( an old moses basket with towels in, in my cupboard) this morning and ate for England, had a nice drink and then wanted a great big fuss. She didn't seem that bothered about getting back in so I gave her a fuss and a cuddle and put her back in. I have checked her every hour or so and shes laying in there purring her head off and is happy for me to stroke her and also a kitten that was going for breakfast in wrong direction she seemed happy for me to lift it and position it on a teat for her still purring madly :).

I have another male cat, neurtured on house rest as he was hit by a car last week, so at the moment she is confined in my bedroom with the door closed, a clean litter tray and plenty of food up there, is this ok?
    Her nest towel is really filthy after the births so when should I change it?
    Im wary about touching the kittens so not really sure what to do next and would appreciate any advice as ive never had to do this before,

Many many thanks Kaye,Jessie and 5 Kitties :) xx

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Make sure the kittens aren't tangled up - occasionally the cords get knotted and this can be serious. Was there a placenta for each kitten? If you are unsure keep a very good eye on her as a retained placenta can cause problems - the cat becomes generally unwell and her milk starts to reduce.

Change the litter tray, she should be fine about this.

Also change her bedding - put a new box (card boxes are great for this) with clean bedding ready, quickly put all the kittens in and swap boxes.

She needs as much good-quality food to eat as she wants.

When she has settled down again, weigh each kitten in grams very quickly in front of her and pop it back. If you can't easily tell them all apart you need to mark them in some way, I've never had to do this (so far!) but I'm sure other people will have suggestions.

Record the weights, weigh them about the same time each day. Bar the odd day for the odd kitten, and maybe for the first day or so, each kitten should gain 10g or more each day. Failure to gain weight is usually the first clue there is something wrong.

Ask your vet when she can be spayed and keep her in until then. Female cats often come back into call when their kittens are only a few weeks old, and if you let her out when she is you will end up with another pregnancy right on top of this one. Nursing does not work as a contraceptive for a well-fed cat.

Has she been wormed recently? With Drontal or Milbemax? If not she should be done - both products are safe for nursing cats, both deal with both roundworm and tapeworm, Drontal you can get on the Internet, Milbemax are vet only but smaller. Hopefully your vet has her weight recorded if you want to get Milbemax from them. The kittens need worming at (I think) 3, 6 and 9 weeks with Panacur. Even if you worm the queen you can still get roundworms moving from her to the kittens.

Hopefully there is no sign whatsoever of fleas. If there is a good spot-on (not Bob Martins etc.) for the queen will suffice, along with changing the bedding regularly and either discarding it or washing it hot.

By a large if you look after the queen she will look after the kittens - they will learn to eat solids and use the litter tray by watching her.

Once their eyes are open and ears unfolded you can start gradually increasing the time you handle them for - stroke them gently when you pick them up for weighing, put them back when they squeak or if she is agitated.

She may well try to move them - keep the door shut, keep all other cats away, keep the room fairly warm, keep feeding, keep scooping... And if you normally use clumping litter it's not suitable for tiny kittens, as like babies they explore the world partly by trying to eat it.

Lulus mum likes this.
  3. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

What a shame she wasn't spayed months ago, 6 months old at the latest. As OS said be sure to keep her indoors until she is spayed after raising the kittens.

I change the bedding twice a day for the first few weeks, and weigh the kittens at the same time each morning.

4. Jessies mummy

Thankyou ladies very much for your advice and support it is greaty appreciated. I have been up and changed her bedding and weighed the kittens as follows 1. 94g 2. 97g, 3. 96g, 4. 94g and 5. 122g. All kitties are very warm and active and a very happy still purring mum.

Jessie was last seen at the vets 3 weeks ago today and she was wormed with milbemax and had fronline combi suitable for pregnant cats. Also she was booked in for spaying roughly when the kittens are 5 weeks old as advised by the vet or when the kittens are weaned. There is no sign of any placentas retained as she ate them all as she had each kitten last night. and shes happy and eating so no sign of any problems but im checking her every hour so if anything does change it will be picked up early.

Shes not used her litter tray yet but was in and out of it all day before the birth yesterday. How long is it until their eyes start to open and they beome more active? She has eaten a whole bowl of food this morning so have topped it up and changed her water.

She wasn't neutered before 6 months as she was approx. 6-8 months when we got her and was going to be a housecat. and as ive already said as soon as is possible she is going in and is on house arrest until she does. My boy cat doesn't seem concerned but Jessie is confined to my bedroom for as long as she needs to be. I will do whatever it takes to make sure her and her kitties are all safe and healthy so your expert advice is greatly appreciated,

If anyone can think of anything else please let me know.

Thanks again, Kaye, Jessie and 5 kitties :)

5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I wouldn't spay her before 10-12 weeks, and be aware she will come into heat before that.
    The kittens need to stay with her for 12 weeks and will generally nurse that whole time.

All cats need to be spayed or neutered indoor or not, there are many health reasons along with kitten overpopulation when the girls inevitably get out in heat.
    Going into heat continuously puts her at great risk of breast cancer and a uterine infection called Pyometra, which is deadly if not caught in time.
    Spaying can be done from 1kg which is around 8 weeks of age, and is best done before the first heat cycle which can be from 4 months of age.

Kittens open their eyes from 3-10 days and activity varies greatly between breeds, at 3 weeks mine are climbing out their nest, eating solids and using the litter tray, others take until 4-6 weeks for that. Depends on the cats.

She should use her litter soon, mine always go a few hours after delivery has finished as they are full of placentas and food.

6. OrientalSlave

The kittens are excellent weights, but they won't be weaned at 5 weeks! However if you vet will spay her anyway they will be fine on their own for a few hours. A flank spay is usual, so her scar won't be where they could be worrying it.

It's good she has been wormed, kittens still need worming and at 9 weeks they can all have Milbemax along with their first vaccination.

Time to eyes open & ears up (they are both blind and deaf at birth) varies, but they should all be there bu 1 1/2 - 2 weeks.

Some cats 'hold on' for quite some time after giving birth, but if nothing by tomorrow a vet phone call might be in order.

And look for whatever cat food you are feeding her online as cheaply as possible. Once they are 6-8 weeks old each kitten will eat enough (more or less) as an adult, and she will be eating for 2-3. It will be like feeding 6-8 cats, not one.

Ditto the cat litter - I used Fresh News for my last fosters from R&L.

7. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

This is not meant to be derogatory toward you, OP, but there have been quite a number of these "she is a housecat, so I never got her spayed" answers of late and every single time I think to myself, why? How do you put up with the yowling all night, and the inappropriate marking and all the things that go along with heats? I remember when I was a kid, my mother's boss had a little cat and she never got her spayed either and she constantly moaned about the horrible yowling. I didn't know any better at the time so it made me think one just should never have a female cat! Later on, I realized, oh yeah, if she'd had her spayed, she would have had nothing to complain about. Since then I've been around some unspayed females in heat and I just don't know why someone would put up with the trouble of it if not going to breed, and why they would put the poor cat through the discomfort of the unsatisfied biological urge. The cats never seemed quite comfortable in heat. It's cute at first, all that butt in the air rolling around, but then you realize it must be so frustrating for them. Not to mention (as someone has done) all the potential health issues that endless heats can cause). And it's so easy to stop all of that.

The thing that really gets me is the number of vets who actually tell people they don't need to get the cat fixed if it's staying inside. This is why I sometimes can't blame the owner for oops litters because the vet, who is a trusted authority, is giving people bad advice. When were these vets trained, the 1800s?

Anyway, rant over, glad you're going to get her done as soon as babies are weaned, and of course we all love to see some piccies when you can.

lymorelynn likes this.
  8. crispycat

crispycat PetForums Member

glad its all going well - can I ask what you plan to do with the kittens? will you be keeping all of them?

9. Jessies mummy

She will be speyed as soon as the kittens are weaned and was told 5 weeks onwards so I was just using that as a figure I was given, I wont let her go in until im satisfied that the kittens are weaned enough for her to be absent for a few hours. As for keeping them, I plan to keep one and name it after the baby which I lost which would of been born today so the kitten we keep will be extra special for our family.

10. OrientalSlave

Her kittens should be fine at 5-6 weeks - they will be quite active by then and eating solids, though that's not the same as fully weaned. So long as you are seeing all of them eating solids it's fine to get the mother spayed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice