Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Jackrussell/Bichon Frise Had 1 dropped testicle

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Ryan2009, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Ryan2009

Ryan2009 PetForums Junior

Hello all this is my first post and still not too sure how to use the forum?
    The thing is that Jack(my dog) only had one Dropped testicle at around 7 months but you could still feel the other one beneth the skin. I had taken him to the vets and she said that he would have to be castrated (due to increase risk of cancer etc) and she also said that the chance is nearly impossible that the other would drop.Jack is now 9 months, 2 weeks ago i noticed that the other testicle had dropped and i am really confused can any one help? is he still at risk of cancer, is the damage all ready done? and hw come it dropped later than the other one when the vet said it wouldnt?
    Thanks alot Ryan2009 x

2. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum.I'm going to stick my neck out here, but did the vet mean your dog needed to be castrated because only one droped of was the vet trying to say, if dogs aren't castrated they have a higher risk of getting cancer?As i know there are different views on having entire dogs castrated.I might add, i've never had any of my dogs done and they have been fine.:D:D

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Undescended testicles are more likely to become cancerous. Which is why they should be removed.

Cryptorchidism: Undescended Testicles in the Dog

4. Ryan2009

she said that it is at higher risk in the future of becoming cancerous and she reccomended getting him castrated, i am just extreamly confused that she said that the other testicle wouldnt drop, but it has? and i just wondered if the damage is already done or he is still at risk and i should still get him castrated?

5. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

6. Ryan2009

thats what i need to find out? does he still need to be castrated and how come it has dropped when she said it wouldnt? x

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I havent a clue tbh. Its something thats best discussed with a veterinary surgeon.

Ryan, are you 100% sure its the testicle, and how does it compare in size to the other one?

8. Ryan2009

im 99% sure its the other one as i cant feel it under the skin any more and there are now 2 testicles in the "sack" and the undecended one felt alot smaller when it was under the skin but now it has dropped it only feels slightly smaller

9. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I had to get Arran castrated due to him having chryptochidism, his undescended one was in his abdomen and wouldn't have come down, from what I was told it's only if the testicle doesn't come down that it has more of a chance of becoming cancerous.
    Just to add dogs can get testicular cancer if they remain whole, or if you get them done some experts believe it increases the chance of them getting prostate cancer, it's up to you what you believe. If Arran had had both testicles in the right place he would have remained complete.

Terri

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive just checked, a testicle can still drop anything up to 18 months of age.

Were you thinking of getting your dog castrated eventually?

11. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

That sounds like good news.:D:D:D

12. Ryan2009

i was unsure wether to get him done or not but when the vet reccommended it i was going to get him done.
    im just really confused how she said that if it didnt drop with the other one it would never drop? and now unsure the vet is trustworthy? didnt know much about it? or was just trying to get more money out of me?

13. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Most likely because its very rare for them to take such a long time to drop. Shes more than likely just going by the book.

Id still discuss it with her, or another vet in the practise.

14. Ryan2009

would any one recommend getting him done, or could some damage be already done to the testicle as it spent more time than the other inside of him? and any one know the average age the testicles usually drop?
    Thanks for all your help!

15. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I think a lot of people "like" the idea of getting their dogs neatured (sp) others like myself don't. Not unless there is a medical reason to do so.Vets like doctors can be wrong.And sometimes it comes down to a matter of oppion.:D

16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Neutering can be an emotive subject.

My personal opinion is that when a dog is physically mature, unless its to be used for breeding, then its best to get them done.

They usually drop from about 8 weeks of age, but can be anything as late as 6 months, and in rare cases 18 months.

17. Ok wading in here

I am not a vet but i wouldnt think that now the testicle has dropped he is at increased risk for cancer. His risks will be the same as any other entire dog. With regards to the undescended testicle descending, there are always exceptions to the rule, mother nature never read the veterinary manuals.

As has been mentioned before neutering is an emotive subject and there are arguments for and against it. On one hand it eliminates testicular cancer risk but can increase the risk of other cancers.

Personally I would not consider getting a dog neutered (unless medical reason for earlier) before 2yrs old. I would prefer to give the dog time to mature and devlope into a proper adult before getting him snipped. There are some arguments for this including bone and physical development, but i cant find the links at the moment. I'm sure someone will be along to do so.

Alternatively there are arguments that neutering can help (i say help not cure) to improve certain behavioural problems. Personally i think its down to doing more training, but i have heard of it working for others.

You need to ask yourself the following questions...

Is there a high chance he could meet an unneutered bitch (do you or friends/neighbours have one that he comes into regular contact with?) - if so i would get him done.

You alone can weigh up the risks for and against neutering with regards to the cancer risks. I havent yet made my mind up with billy. I'm currently leaning towards not getting him done.

I would say that have a chat with your vet (or another one if you dont feel comfortable), about it, but if there is no risk now from an undescended teste then leave it until he is at least 2.

18. Ryan2009

Thank you BBM, i was going to leave him till he was a bit older any way but the vet said that it was best to get him done between 7-9 months but did gave no reason for it?

19. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

dont feel pressured into getting him done too early. He wont come to any harm if u wait a year or even 2. U can get testicles that drop and then withdraw back up the inguinal canal and those that dont drop and remain hidden within the abdoman, either way if he was to develop cancer it would be much later on in life, due to the inactivity of the undescended testi.
    As long as he is fit and healthy I would be inclined to give him more time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice