UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just had a call from him and he is on his way home after being made redundant - what a disaster, this could mean a possible move out of the South West or us having to rent a flat for him to stay in Mon - Fri for another position.

No idea why I am posting this really, just feel a bit shocked and I am not ready to tell our immediate circle just yet in case I cry.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Never an easy time, I know having been made redundant twice. I have been fortunate however both times. For both I have been able to take advantage of it in regards to my life's direction.

Wish your family the best and hope you can sort things out.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sorry to here that.

My husband has been made redundant 3 times over the last five years and remember the phone calls so well and how upsetting it felt so I can understand how you feel.

We survived though. Maybe poorer and slightly worn down from it but happy which is the main thing.

Stay positive. Everything happens for a reason and I'm sure there's better job and future for you both out there.

·
Super Moderator
18,773 Posts
Hubby took voluntary redundancy a few years back. He got a new job within 3 months and while I knew he'd get another job it was the "where" that frightened me

He now works a three hour round trip commute away. During the winter months Nov to March he stays two nights in a budget hotel and travels home on the other days. If you book in advance it works out £19 a night.

We have gym membership which he can use at the branch near his work, he finishes at 7pm goes to the gym, has his tea at the gym then goes to the hitel to sleep.

Just wanted you to know that there are alternatives to buying/renting. Thinking of you both at this tough time, hang in there xx

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Sorry to hear this Hun, but deep breath calm down and have a good think, and in the mean time get his CV updated and bang it out ASAP to everyone and anyone. ;)

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
So sorry to hear that. Don't panic though, as others have said, he will get another job soon enough. Just stay positive :)

It has happened to us and we got through it so you will too.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Sorry to hear this :( I know how tough it can be, I was made redundant this year after working 28 years for the same company! The emotions you go through are so hard.

Try to stay positive for him ((hugs))

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
So sorry to hear your hubby has been made redundant.My hubby will find out tomorrow whether not not he still has a job.Well that's if they don't postpone the meeting,AGAIN!.:(

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
aw bless over the years my hubby has been made redundant 4 times in the oil industry.i always managed to get a job or be working at the time.it is really scary.and i still have sleepless nights when hubby mentions rumours.
can i say you will come through it.:eek:

·
Premium Member
33,918 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this, hope he gets a new job soon.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Have just had a call from him and he is on his way home after being made redundant - what a disaster, this could mean a possible move out of the South West or us having to rent a flat for him to stay in Mon - Fri for another position. No idea why I am posting this really, just feel a bit shocked and I am not ready to tell our immediate circle just yet in case I cry.
It is a shock and you start worrying about all the if's & maybe's.

I have been there for the third time now it is a real choker. Best wishes to him..

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the comments and advice guys, we have been through this before but it was a long time ago and this one came right out of the blue. Mr A is feeling pretty positive all things considered, so I guess we will just have to hope that it's a short break from work.

Wow though, it really was the last thing I was expecting him to say! :eek:

Good luck to the others on here who are also worried about their jobs :).

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Just wanted to say that a friend of mine's husband got made redundant this year. He actually managed to get a new better job with better pay within a couple of weeks of leaving his old job and with the payout from his old place and his new job they are actually now much better off.

Hope it will be the same for you!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.