Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my house is a state!!...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Summersky, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

We'v got visitors for the weekend, to go with the bunny on holday with us.

As I frantically tidy, and try to find a spare bed amongst the hay and all things rabbit related, I can see how tatty and in need of decorating my house is.

Usually, I would slap some paint on the walls and celiing in the summer, to freshen things up, when you can throw the windows open.

Not sure if I have time, but I could do with slapping some paint on before Christmas. But can I - we have house buns, and it will be much harder to ventilate.

What paint should I use? What about paint fumes? Can I do it safely, or should I wait till spring?

Any advice/opinions welcomed!!

2. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

You can get paint that gives off less fumes but even so rabbits have really a really sensitive sense of smell that I'd hold off till spring if you can.

Or if you really need to do it now then keep bunnies in a room where you won't be painting with the door closed and a window open slightly. Then put on as many layers of clothing as possible and open all the windows in the rooms your painting to air it out.

This place could do with a lick of paint and re-wallpapering after a certain bunny took it upon himself to become a decorator and stripped half the wallpaper. At the moment we have that half and half thing going on with wallpaper on the top half of the walls and nothing on the bottom half other than the backing of the wallpaper that stayed attached after the rest was stripped.

If anyone has any tops for stopping the wallpaper being stripped let me know, I've tried every type of chew stopper spray and various smelly sauces/liquids but he likes them all!

3. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Personally I wouldn't risk it unless you can have the windows open until the paint is dried.

As Kammie said you can get paint with less fumes but wet paint makes me feel weird so I wouldn't like to know what it does to the buns.

4. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Thanks guys, I think you're right - it's just not worth taking the risk.

We have a resident paper stripper too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice