Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My hamster Peanut

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by danielled, Jul 6, 2009.

1. danielled

danielled Guest

I recently bought a hamster and named him Peanut. He is only a yooung one. He is very cheeky and active and curious. I love him.
    Danielle.

2. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Aww thats nice..;)

I got one to for my birthday i named her Tippy!.. she is 6 weeks old white syrian:D

You got any pictures..:D

3. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Peanut sounds like a naughty hamster. Yes, pics please. :)

4. danielled

danielled Guest

No pictures because my stupid camera is broke and the one on my mobile is acting up being a pain in the neck. Peanut might help me with the loss of Toby. He is a syrian. Only a baby.
    Danielle.

5. danielled

danielled Guest

My stupid camera is broke and the one on my phone is acting up and being a pain in the neck. Peanut is a naughty little hamster but I love him.
    Danielle.

6. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

The ones that are bad can be real fun. I've got a grey and white fluffy female named Eva that is unbelievably naughty and she does bad things on purpose for attention when I take her out. Love her too. :D

7. danielled

danielled Guest

I agree with you there. The naughty onesare the best and more fun in my opinion. Oops, I forgot to close the cage door. And he's gone again. Got him. He's back in the cage now and this time I shut the door.
    Danielle.

8. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

mind you don't do that again :/ you could lose him for good!

9. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Yeah, please be careful you don't lose the poor thing...

10. danielled

danielled Guest

He is a little escape artist. Even wiht the door shut and locked he finds a way out. I've always caught him though. He doesn't like being in his cage.
    Danielle.

11. danielled

danielled Guest

He has figured out how to escape even with the dorr of the cage closed and locked. He is an escape artist hamster.
    Danielle.

12. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

How is Peanut today? Still in his cage I hope! :D

13. danielled

danielled Guest

He is fine and for once still in his cage not trying to escape.
    Danielle.

14. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Clever little guys aren't they? Yeah, some are brilliant at getting out, that's why I have mine in aquariums. But one has managed to get free, you gotta be so careful with the smart ones.

15. danielled

danielled Guest

It's not that easy with a visual impairment but I try. Peanut has got a tummy bug. I took him to the vets yesterday and she gave him antibiotics that he will not take no matter what I do. My boyfriend got me a common pleco for my tropical tank. He is a baby. I called him Nemo. When he is on the floor he is nearly impossible to see. He so tiny but he is cute for pleco's. Pleco's are not the cutest of fish but I love them. Pleco's can live for years in a goldfish tank so as I have one betta who doesn't like having other fish in with him I put Nemo in the goldfish tank. A friend of mine had a pleco in a goldfish tank with his four goldfish and he lived for 12 years. Pleco's don't need a heater so that is a bit of a myth. They can live in a coldwater tank because the water goes up to room temperature and isn't freezing. Last night the sides were covered in algea and today most of it is gone. I love Nemo. He sticks in weird places.
    Danielle.

16. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Congratulations on getting Nemo, I love plecs they are great fish. As for giving Peanut the antibiotics it is really important to make sure Peanut gets them, my hamster Buffy gets urine infections and has to have antibiotics and I mix them in with baby porridge so she doesn't realise she is having them.

17. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Poor thing, I hope he feels better.

18. danielled

danielled Guest

I got Peanut to take the antibiotics. I took him back to the vets and they listened to his heart and said he has a heart murmour. There is somethng else wrong now. We won't know until Monday what his quality of life is like. I'm devestated. My cat Toby died nearly 3 months ago and I don't want to lose this little guy too.
    Danielle.

19. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Oh no thats terrible news, try not to worry too much till Monday, lots of animals live very long happy lives with a heart murmour. I'm really sorry to hear about Toby, we lost our cat Paddy last year and I still think about him all the time.

20. danielled

danielled Guest

I've got something to telll you about Peanut. I took him to the vets and he has a heart murmour. We find out on Monday what his quality of life is like but I think I already know what it's like. It's not very good at all. He hasn't eaten for days. I dont want to lose him. I don't want him to go and join Toby but he might have to. I'm devestated and really worried about him. I told the vet if it turns out to be a bad quality of life I don't want him to suffer. I want to do what's right for him. I don't want to let him go yet but I might have to.
    Danielle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice