Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My hamster doesn't trust me

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Lorettacaitlin, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Lorettacaitlin

Lorettacaitlin PetForums Newbie

I've had my male Syrian hamster for nearly four months, he has a big home with a wheel, three hide aways, tubes and I scatter feed him so he has to look for it and get active.
    He use to come up to me and go in the ball and take treats from me. I've started to get him use to being picked up and he bit my hard and drew blood. I've started to use the bathtub bonding technique and was going well but he started screaming. I've given him space but now he doesn't come near me. He won't go in his ball or take food from my hand.
    What can I do to get him to trust me, it's upsetting me alot that he doesn't like me and I know he can pick up on it.

2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Don't use the ball they're so dangerous and aren't enriching at all,

Can I have a picture of the set up please

Sometimes hamsters exhibit territorial aggression so inorder to get him out the cage get him to wealth into a cup/jar or tube and lift him out that way.

When free roaming, start off in a smaller space with hides. A large cardboard box or storage tub will do. Use food and don't force anything. If he doesn't want to leave the cup or tube thats ok. Just put him back in the cage.

Keep taming sessions short. Aim for 10 mins 2-3 times a day. Once he seems more comfortable, increase the time gradually.

For the meantime, don't touch him for a few days, give him time to chill out :)

3. Lorettacaitlin

Lorettacaitlin PetForums Newbie

So he loves the tubes/tunnels and stays in the blue house at the top. I gave him a choice of a house of all different levels. He has three gnaw toys which he doesn't use.
    I have straw as an extra material which he uses to put in the blue house at the top.
    I've just out food in his cage before I took the photo so it isn't old food.

He's very good at jumping so I don't exactly trust him being in anything with an open top.

He only bit me because I went to pick him up and he didn't like me, he isn't fazed by my hands being in the cage as long as I'm not touching him.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice