Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my hammy is getting old

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by foxxy cleopatra, Mar 31, 2011.

1. foxxy cleopatra

foxxy cleopatra PetForums VIP

*cries* his fluff is getting thin and he squeeks when he wakes up :( he is about 2 years old now :( is there anything i can do to help him? he has fresh fruit every day, hamster pellet things so he gets all the nutrients:(
    he is currently in an imac, should i downsize?

2. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

I recently lost my first ever hammy aged two!! :( Is one of the saddest things I have had!

But I knew she didn't have long. She slowed down so much and then...became quite shakey and didn't eat much. But although his fur is thinning is he still active? If he can still get up the imac tubes etc then I would leave him in there...will help keep him active. How is he with eating/drinking? You may find he becomes a little moodier...but this is relatively common I think!

3. Starlight Express

Starlight Express PetForums Member

AwwwH, poor wee man. Sounds like your doing all you can for your little guy, it's just nature taking it's course. My hamster surprised us all and lived to 5 years old! An increadible age for a hamster. Although he started looking really old at about 2 and a half he was a tough wee guy. Miss him. :( Give him plenty of hugs!

4. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

I think maybe get a cage that had a large footprint and so he doesn't have to go up the tubes, he might be getting tired going up and down? Not sure, just a suggestion.

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I think the Imacs are great cages for young hamsters but they arent great for oldies, they start using the other levels less and less as the tubes arent easy for an oah (old aged hamster). also a wodent wheel rather than a normal one, they arent as steady on their feet when they get on in years so they cant fall out of a wodent wheel and seem to prefer them.

6. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

Excellent advice tdm :) I totally agree with this!

My syrian is 2 now and his coat is thinning but he still seems like his usual self. He is in a HH so has a lot of floor space, he doesnt bother with the level and tubes but i put that down to him getting older.

I didnt think of changing his wheel though so thats something i am going to do for him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice