Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My gorgeous Tinsel has a Pyo I think....

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Kittenfostermummy, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

So off to work she goes with me tomorrow! I am totally gutted though as I haven't been able to have her out much for a couple of weeks due to my family visiting over christmas although I did still hold her each night it wasn't for as long as normal and since they have gone back I have been really ill.

She is acting normal at the moment eating drinking bright etc so fingers crossed she will be ok to be operated on. It is not something my boss has done before though I know that much so it will be scary but she has operated on hamsters before for other things.

I have noticed for the last few days that around her vulva seemed to be crusty so I just wanted a closer look and it kinda popped and fresh pus came out and she flipped out! I am hoping the fact it is draining slightly is a good thing and that she will be ok when I take her in tomorrow so please all keep your fingers crossed for her!

I have only had her about 6 weeks but I am totally in love with her!!! :eek:

2. RowdyRabbit

RowdyRabbit Pet keeper, pet fanatic & all round pet lover

I'm so so so sorry. I will be thinking of poor little Tinsel today and hoping that all goes well. Just remember, all of us on the forum are here for each other in tough times and if you ever need someone to talk to or some friendly advice, come online! That's what I do... :)

P.S: I recently lost a hammy to pyo. :(

3. Kittenfostermummy

She is currently running like a loon on her wheel and she is deffo bright enough I just hope I can convince my boss to operate as I know it is the only way to get them over it as antibiotics don't work.

I am sorry you have recently lost a hammy xxxx

4. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Very sorry to hear about tinsel.
    I've lost two Syrians to pyo :(

RowdyRabbit likes this.
  5. Kittenfostermummy

Well it is a pyo, thankfully it is open and I can get pus out to relieve some pressure by gently pressing around her vulva.

Unfortunately today was manic on operations so we weren't able to operate today so she is booked in on Weds. We have given her an injection of Baytril and Metacam to continue both orally for the next week to tide her over until the op. She is currently running around like a loon on her flying saucer wheel so still very bright and she was very good and didn't bite me whilst we jabbed her with her meds!!!

6. Kittenfostermummy

Well she made it through the operation and is now at home sleeping it off (I hope and not chewing her wound!!)

Thankfully in a way the baytril had reduced the infection but one horn of the uterus was still infected so I am glad I went ahead and had her operated on.

Considering it was the vets first time of spaying a hamster he did fab and it did take an hour but that was as he was so conscious of trying to get the stitches to be really well buried. Mind it did take him a little while to find the uterus but that was because as he was opening her up he was moving her by accident and so we had to re straighten her for him to be able to find it lol!

Now just got to hope that she gets over the stress and stays well post op. :)

7. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Aww bless her, I hope she's ok. Does she have any pain relief?
    Your vet must be great at his job.

8. Kittenfostermummy

She had a metacam injection today and will be continuing with both this and baytril orally. She is a little sleepier than normal but seems to be comfortable and has so far left her wound alone.

Chris is a locum and old school but fab at his job. I am glad he is in this week as my boss is pregnant and so wouldn't be able to do the operation as we had to gas her with Iso which is not safe to be done around pregnant people.

9. RowdyRabbit

RowdyRabbit Pet keeper, pet fanatic & all round pet lover

I'm so glad that the operation went well! I hope that Tinsel recovers soon. :)

10. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

How is tinsel doing?

11. Kittenfostermummy

Tinsel is doing fantastic thanks :) She has chewed her stitches slightly but Chris the vet thinks she will heal fine. She is bored though bless her so trying to chew her cage as I haven't allowed her her wheel at the moment!

Considering Chris the vet is also a large animal vet so used to dealing with cows etc he did a fantastic job spaying her!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice