Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

My girls not eating

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Mygirlizzy, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Mygirlizzy

Mygirlizzy PetForums Newbie

Hi new to this my girls on day 32 of pregancy and hasn't ate for 6 days she's had 2 scans 2 vet checks and everything fine except not eating so on advise of vet to syringe feed liquid dog food every hour has anyone got any advise or tips she is 3yrs old

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Two scans already at day 32 - but you can't see anything until the bitch is about 28 days anyway. So have the scans confirmed that she is pregnant? It's not normal for a pregnant bitch not to eat for six days, so personally I would be concerned. They can have 'morning sickness', but in my experience, not for a week. I presume she is drinking plenty? Was she a poor eater before?

You can syringe feed although there is a technique so i would read up on it first as there is a risk of aspirating (liquid seeping into lungs). Firstly though i would try to encourage with hand feeding anything I can - freshly cooked chicken, soft fish, in fact anything my dog may find palatable. After six days she is going to be feeling very sick and not eating because of the reflux. More than that I would simply be working with the vet to ensure she is ok.

J

Abbey's Momma likes this.
  3. Mygirlizzy

Thanks for the quick reply I had her scanned on day 28 to confirm pregancy because of not eating for 2 days took her to vets they checked her over they said she'll eat when ready it's day 6 to day of not eating took back to vets today and they rescanned her incase of miscarriage vets rechecked her she's not unwell just refusing to eat I've tried absolutely everything my older dog was diagnosed with incurable cancer last week and vet said it might have to do with that.

4. tonilou03

tonilou03 PetForums Newbie

Hi, our girl had morning sickness for almost a week and she couldn’t keep down any dog food. We managed to get her to eat chicken and rice with gravy. If your girl isn’t being sick and just refusing to eat then it could be down to your other dog. I hope she picks up soon x

5. Abbey's Momma

Abbey's Momma PetForums Junior

How is she doing? Is she eating anything yet? What have you tried feeding her so far?

6. Mygirlizzy

Hi she's still refusing to eat on her own. Iam having to put food in her mouth for her to eat it and then she won't eat a lot. She's been sick this morning but that's the first time in a couple of weeks. She's still active and loves her walks she has had a litter before and never went off food. Had her to vets 3 times and can't find anything wrong I'm so worried but don't know what to do

7. Abbey's Momma

Abbey's Momma PetForums Junior

Have you tried livers and later in in the evening/night? That might help. And another thing maybe you could try with the livers and i know how silly this is going to sound lol but it worked for me is to put the food in a regular bowl ( something you usually eat out of) sit down like it is your food and invite her over for a bite. My girl would eat evey bite i handed her. I did have to pretend to eat it myself first. If you like liver thats a plus lol. But it dont necessarily have to be liver.

8. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Drinking is the most important so ensure that she is drinking lots - maybe boil some chicken and make her some light chicken 'broth' to drink (you can puree a little chicken). And yes, sometimes they will eat food if they think it's 'ours' as the poster above has mentioned. And try anything. If she isn't eating then being sick will presumable just bring up bile - which makes her feel sick :(

Hope she improves soon.

J

Abbey's Momma likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice