Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Giant African Land Snail isn't very Giant?!?!

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by Digglet, Jun 2, 2018.

?

Is my snail a giant african land snail?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Digglet

Digglet PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I adopted my Giant African Land Snail for 5 months now and it it is practically the SAME SIZE as when I first got it (maybe just a few mm bigger). The place I adopted it from told me it was "a few months old".

I'm very confused as I was under the impression that they became full sized at 6 months old - yet mine is the size of a regular garden snail!!!

I have attached a picture of it **PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENT**. Its shell is about 35mm at the moment.

Would be grateful if someone could tell me if this is normal - have I adopted a regular garden snail?! If not, how can I help it's growth? It already has cuttlefish bone and lots of cucumber.

Thank you :) June 18.jpg

#1 Digglet, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

It looks like a giant African land snail.

Is cucumber all you feed it? Cucumber has very little nutrition so if so this may explain why there is hardly any growth.

This website has a list of suitable foods. The snails can get very fussy though so it can be a bit of a trial and error situation to find a range of food they will eat.

https://www.africanlandsnails.com/diet/

3. Rixsta911

Rixsta911 PetForums Newbie

It's a Achatin Fulica giant africa snail, these species need less heat and humidity and are probably the easiest to keep, they originate from East Africa and are the most common ones people keep. Feed it some carrots and either use calcium dust on every other feed or put a cuttlefish in there. (If you've not got one already) Mix the diet between fruit and veg, what it grow...BIG :)

#3 Rixsta911, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  4. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Your snail could also be a runt. If you've purchased it from a less than reputable seller then chances are it's a runt and will not grow very big at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice