Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my gf wants a kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by cringer, May 19, 2010.

1. cringer

cringer PetForums Junior

hello guys great forum.

As title says my partner wants a kitten, im happy to get her one.

What i want to know is:

(i will be having an indoors cat as i cant bear the thought of letting a pet roam the streets at the mercy of cars, thugs and other animals) is there a particular breed that are better suited to being indoors than others?

Also with the best will in the world, keeping things clean etc. Will my house smell of wee?

Those are my 2 main concerns before i make my exciting new purchase. I just want to get a little knowledge?

P.s. Ive had dogs before but never a cat.

2. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

I am afraid that your house may initially at times with a kitten, smell of wee and even poo (as mine did this morning, in a needing a gas mask kind of way! :p) but that it is just a small thing to tolerate in the grand scheme of owning a cat. There are plenty of products to remove smells etc and generally speaking it isn't on a daily basis or once they are fully trained adults.

I think breed wise it depends on different things. Whether you want a big cat, fluffy, one that doesn't moult too much hair. Many different cats make lovely indoor pets. It is hard work to keep them safe indoors though, such as not leaving windows and doors open and being cautious but you get used to it.

I would just have a look around or ask your GF what sort of cat she has in mind x

3. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

I would just like to reassure you that your house doesnt have to smell of wee or poop... mine doesnt and i have two kittens (9 months old)... I use a good clumping litter which is partly why but also that i feed mine a raw diet so their poop doesnt actually smell at all...

If you're getting a house cat, it might be worth considering two kittens - they will have each other for company, especially if you both work, although am unsure of this as you've not said so am making an assumption! I can highly recommend BSH as a good indoor breed - providing you have them neutered/spayed.

4. mlynnc

mlynnc PetForums Senior

First of all - how exciting!!!

Second... as The Twins has already said, your house doesn't have to smell of a toilet. Use the right litters and clear their tray often and you'll be fine.

My boy, Enzo, is toilet trained... so, I've never had any problems with smell! The only thing I have to do is come home and flush the toilet. Wonderful.

Also, if you're going to get a boy kitten... get him neutered at 6 months, otherwise you run the risk of him spraying in your house... which would most definitely smell. :scared:

5. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

Personally i would echo this but also say i had my two done at 4 1/2 months - the vet would do them as soon as they were 2kgs in weight... so i would say the younger the better!

6. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

i have a indoor cat she a ragdoll there quite good indoor cats and love human compine indoor cats do need a litter box though but all in all cat are great

7. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Apparently British Shorthairs are very content with an indoor lifestyle. As regards to the smell it shouldn't be that bad!!

8. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

All purebred cat breeds will be suitable for indoor life as the vast, vast majority of the breeders will stipulate in contracts that they cannot be let outside to roam under any circumstance.

I have one lapcat breed and one "farm cat" breed and it isn't the one you expect that is interested in going outside - it depends on personality mostly.

9. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Any cat can be an indoor cat, we have 4 moggies.

We once moved to above a cafe and seeing as it was middle of the town [small town] they became indoor cats and never once tried to get out, they just adapt to thier situation.

Even tho our female jessie hated being shut indoors normally, i think she KNEW she wasnt allowed out and was happy inside....then again we had 3 floors for her and the 2 other cats we had at the time to run around and play about it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice