Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My fur baby Miles

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Cheryl-Lee McPhillie, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Cheryl-Lee McPhillie

Cheryl-Lee McPhillie PetForums Newbie

I've not really spoke much about it as it's been too hard and I'm only just beginning to come to terms with it. But here goes...

My orange tabby Miles joined our family - alongside his sister Smokey - in June 2016. He was such a mummy's boy and was so very close to me. Within 8 months of having him in our lives, he had a blocked bladder. I was devastated and had no idea how to cope with him being at the vet to receive emergency surgery. After he returned home, it was only another 5 months afterwards that he was blocked again. I was at my wits end.

Eventually, Miles had recovered and we decided to change his food and help him to try and lose weight. Both cats are indoor cats, due to the fact that we live on a busy main road. Sadly, we couldn't help him lose the weight no matter how hard we tried. We cut his food intake and banished dry food and dry treats from our home.

However, on 22 January 2019, Miles became blocked for a 3rd time and he became very stressed at the vet following his surgery. When he got home, he would still become attached to me. On 29 January, he again became blocked at 2am and we had to rush him to the emergency vet hospital. He was rushed into surgery again. Again, he was stressed. Before he was discharged, the vet said that he couldn't become blocked again as it would not be in his best interests to undergo surgery. When I got him home, I kept hoping that he would be ok since he was on special food. We planned on exercising him once he healed but sadly this was not to be.

On 2 February, Miles began to growl a lot and had hair standing up - which was so unlike him. Another trip to the vet for us. The vet said that he wasn't blocked but they would give us a strong painkiller as he was in pain. On the morning of 3 February, he continued to growl and went off his food. He also began to try and urinate on my curtains. My husband took him back to the vet where it was discovered that he was blocked again. The vet then told him that it was in Miles best interests to be put to sleep as 3 unblocked surgeries would have taken its toll on him. My husband phoned me to tell me and I was totally heartbroken.

I have his collar and miss him so very much. I never had a son so Miles was my boy and we shared an amazing bond. Smokey didn't cope well at first but she is now ok. I miss my boy Miles loads but I'm just glad that he's no longer in pain and flying high over the Rainbow Bridge!

Attached Files:

2. Veronica Chapman

Veronica Chapman PetForums Member

Hi Cheryl, it's good to talk. Thank you so much for sharing your painful story about beloved Miles.
    Miles, you and whole family have really suffered terribly.
    Your decision to have him put to sleep is right for you and family, please don't feel guilty about this. You have spared Miles further pain and loss of dignity.
    Our boy Benji was diagnosed Chronic Kidney disease in Nov 2017. He was doing well on Prescription wet renal food. Then he developed Peri pseudo nephretic cysts which needed draining many times. Sadly like you, we had to put him to sleep too.
    Like you I cannot explain the pain. I know that it will get less painful with time but we won't ever forget our lovely boys. Folks on this Forum will understand how we feel. Hang on to those wonderful moments you had with Miles. Smokey will need all the love and reassurance from your lovely family.
    Veronica x

Cheryl-Lee McPhillie likes this.
  3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I,m sorry to hear this. :(

Run Free, Miles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice