UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to start a blog of mr max's dodgy legs and hips...

Max is 7 months old and this week diagnosed with hip dysplasia and growth abnormalities (see below) - front legs... one of his bones in the front is growing too quickly according to my vet (if i have that right)! he's under the refferal vets and imo one of the best in the country....

((the floor is quite slipping but even on a good surface this is about normal for him to sit*** )!

He's on tablets once a day for anti inflammatory drugs! and some green lip muscle for his joints...

The plan of action with Max is 30 mins walks (twice a day)... for a month, back to the vets, re-asses.... possible CT and if needs fixing - surgery

So the two walks are a combination of grass and pavement (mostly grass as i despise pounding joints on concrete)! which means we get very very muddy!

So once ive set up his blog (fo rme as i want to keep track of his hopefully positive progress) i will updated you all if anyones interested?

:)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Bless his little heart! I've seen a condition called carpal flexural deformity in Dobermanns, is this the same or different? For CFD vets tend to recommend changes in diet (sometimes lower protein diets and smaller quantities of food) and sometimes leg braces are used too.

All the best for your boy!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks both

dober - no name given yet except he's now nicknamed (by moi) frogboy !

He sits like a frog and hops (because of his HD) :eek:

We go back in a month - kinda needed to sink in as i figured he would grow out of it....i just hope to god i can help with walking and eventualyl swimming (if vet gives us the ok) without the need for surgery!!

ID rather not put a 7 month old pup through surgery but whatever he needs he gets....the vets are brilliant so im sure he's safe with them :)

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Oh poor little boy, he is so lovely. Such a shame that he has problems but great that you have lots of confidence in your vets, its such a relief if you know he is in safe hands.

Hope your plan of action does the trick and he dosen`t need surgery.

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
Oh, look at his little face! His eyes are smiling; he's clearly a happy chap despite his problems :001_wub:

I hope an appropriate treatment plan can be sorted to manage his condition. Sending lots of vibes! Well done for being such a selfless, dedicated owner, Max will always be thankful :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all

I lost my horse 2 weeks ago today - we couldnt "fix" her despite many vet visits/ referrals and thousands spent on her....She eventually became a pet but even then wasnt happy so I made the decision to have her pts....it was kinder for her...harder for me.

so yes - my animals always come first! heck......even my job fits around them!!!
Just hope little maximus is ok :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.