Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My first TICA show

Discussion in 'Cats Shows and Events' started by lizward, Aug 2, 2009.

1. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Well, it was certainly an interesting experience, and the bottom line is that Basil ended up with 670 points (if I have calculated correctly) which means he has more than twice as many points as he needs to make Champion, but he isn't yet a Champion because these points have to come from four different judges and there were only three at the show. He is entered for another show where two of the judges are different so he will almost certainly be a Champion after that as the only way he could fail to be one would be for the other two judges to withhold all awards or for there to be more than 5 sable Burmese entered, neither scenario seems likely. Basil finalled in three rings yesterday and if he does the same at the next show then in fact he will be a Grand Champion. So I have to say that it does seem an awful lot easier to get to Grand Champion at least, but then I might well not think that if I was showing Bengals (the show had loads of them) or indeed if the show was the same size as a GCCF show. I think it might actually be more difficult to get to Champion since you can't get there by default, there has to be competition because you need to final.

The thing I really really liked was the vast amount of space, it was amazing not to have to fight your way through the aisles and to be given a nice comfy chair so you could sit next to your cat all the time. Of course a lot of that is again down to the small show, but some of it is also down to the ring judging system. However it made such a huge difference to me that I for one would be willing to pay perhaps £10 more for a GCCF entry if I knew the show was going to have that amount of space. Also people were very friendly and helpful, it is not unknown for fellow exhibitors at a GCCF show to give a very good impression that they really don't want to speak to you. Again this could very well be due to the small size of the shows.

It was also nice to be allowed to leave when your cat had finished, in a big show that would greatly ease getting out of the car park, and that is something that I would have thought could easily be introduced by GCCF show managers (though it would reduce the numbers waiting to see the Best in Show, for shows that have that)

The only thing I didn't like - and apparently this is unusual - was not knowing when things were happening, there was no published "running order", so there was no way I could have gone off for a proper lunch break until it became clear that everyone else had done so, and by then of course the queue to be served was very very long (inexperienced bar staff!) The PA system was not good at all and I found myself having to wander round the rings several times during the day to try and get some idea of what was going on. To be fair no-one else seemed to have trouble with this so perhaps a lot of it was down to me not really knowing what was going on as it was my first show.

I can imagine that for a nervous cat it might be a bit traumatic having to go in six rings and perhaps being called back to final in all of them, it's a lot of changing pens. Basil was totally unfazed by it all but that's how he is.

I will certainly be going again - won't be abandoning the GCCF though, one of my breeds is only recognised by GCCF anyway.

Liz

2. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Interesting! I've only been to one TICA show and that was in Paris in 1989!!

It was huge, with exhibitors flying over from the USA. Still have the catalogue. I did miss seeing all the breed pens in the same line like GCCF. It was hard to make any eye judgements.

3. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

Well done to Basil :) We much prefer Tica, as spectators as we're able to pick a few cats and follow them round they're rings. Did appear very hard work for people showing, especially if they had a few cats showing!

4. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I'd love to go but they seem to be so infrequent & rarely within an agreeable distance every time I go "ooh, it sounds interesting...!".

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Looking forward to going to a few in a few months when we have moved (to London) should be a fair few there. Hopefully I shall have a show cat by Xmas so will be more than a spectator then!

6. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

I prefer GCCF titles, but I do like the TICA format. If you have a laid back cat, they seem to enjoy it more too, and its much nicer to be able to sit comfortably by your cage all day. My cat was fascinated by the other breeds of cats, he doesn't get to see them at home or at GCCF shows because of the layout, but you could see him staring at anything fluffy with a puzzled expression on his face.

I agree if you have a breed where there are not many shown then I think it is easier to gain a title under TICA, but the opposite is definitely true for those more popular breeds. The standards applied in some breeds seems to be less exacting than the GCCF too. If the GCCF adopted ring judging, I think that would be the best of both worlds :D Never going to happen though.

7. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Congratulations I think that sounds like a great show.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice